[3830] CQWW CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:24:41 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:  383    12       51
   80:  972    19       71
   40: 1590    31       90
   20: 1213    32      101
   15: 1400    27       96
   10:  393    22       82
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

There seems to be a disconnect between my log and stations posting intended CQWW
CW contest activity on the NG3K website. I would estimate I never heard 1/2 of
them - and I worked all I heard. Granted it is difficult to S&P weak
stations while running over 150/hr, and I like to run, so I'm happy I have to
deal with it. But I would think that while tuning the 2nd radio a good portion
of the time, I would run across pile-ups for piss weak DXpeditions. I was able
to hear and work virtually every station running a pile-up, and I still never
heard half of of those stations listed.

I used the K6TU propagation website and noted when long path propagation was
projected to a number of those juicy mults. I tried CQing on the 2nd radio at
the appointed hour to no avail. Scanning the bands produced no results either.

I had no visits from Murphy. The closest thing to a glitch was that my XP
computer is sssssllllloooooowwwwwiiiiiinnnnnnnggggg slowing down. After a few
thousand calls, SCP (I have a customized SCP from my old logs, including
annotations for calls that are NIL, BAD, UNIQUE OR busted EXCHANGE) is so slow
that the calls I've typed in the call box don't appear until after I'm finished
tying. It is time for a new Windows 10 box.

>From the get go this year, I couldn't generate the rate I did the last two
years. My impression was that the pile-ups weren't as overwhelmingly completely
all mud noise impossible to pick out a call. Down 600+ QSOs this year. Of
course, I was down 1,000+ QSOs on 10 meters, but couldn't make it up on 20m.
160m seemed quiet enough, but I just didn't generate the mult count.

My logging program tells me I was on 45 hours, but I know I walked away about 3
times that weren't long enough for the program to count, so I'm reporting 44
hours. It makes me shake my head when I look at the rate meter still at 80+,
but I have to walk away for a few minutes to refocus. I slept about 2 hours
early Sunday AM local, about 0400Z.

The last few hours I was motivated to break 10M. I did with about 20 minutes to
spare. There is nothing like finding a double mult late Sunday afternoon in the
quest to break 10M points! I do have 3 TO8 QSOs that weren't counted, but I'll
be in the mid 9M range after log checking.

I thought Saturday was better that Sunday on 20 - 10 m. Bands opened much
earlier and stronger. I was expecting better conditions on Sunday based on
pre-contest solar predictions. That really didn't make a difference since there
is no off-time strategy in CQWW.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT