[3830] CQWW CW N1PGA SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N1pga@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N1PGA SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:56:45 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N1PGA
Operator(s): N1PGA
Station: N1PGA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

  160:   21     7       11
   80:   70     9       36
   40:  111    13       42
   20:  100    12       47
   15:  103    16       56
   10:   44    10       20
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had a lot of fun with a very casual effort in this contest.

CW is not my favorite mode but I have to admit that each year I enjoy it more
and more. I hear the music in well sent code, even at higher speeds. My
ear-to-keyboard ability is almost on auto-pilot a lot of the time.  Other times
my head gets in the way and I find myself decoding a single character at a time.
  As an opinion, some folks could really clean up their sending if they paid
attention to spacing and timing. I really should do more CW than just 2
contests and 30-40 hours total per year...

I only S&P'd this weekend, so having a pair of radios, BCD, SO2R and
improved antenna switching really just boiled down to just single VFO and
"spin the dial", unassisted of course.

Low Power and modest antennas dont seem as much a hinderance in CW contests as
they sometimes to on Phone.

As a LP station I'm accustomed to providing fills or repeats. On the upper
bands I continue to work most everyone I call, most of the time without much of
a wait.

On 80 & 160 I can hear really well thanks to a single simple beverage.  But
on these two bands my success rate was frustratingly lower.  I feel like I need
to call most all of the stations I hear on 80 & 160, even though I know
many/most dont have the ears to hear me.

But every once in a while the guy at the other end can hear well too and the
contact is made.  I suspect that my calling on these bands attracts other US
stations with better antennas and much more power, so if I dont make the
contact 1st or at least early, my chances go way down until the bigger dogs
move on.  I guess most Low Power and QRP stations probably feel the same.

It was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the contacts.