[3830] CQWW CW VE9AA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE9AA SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:58:34 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 38.75
Radios: SO2R

  160:  338    13       43
   80:  745    17       58
   40:  844    18       78
   20:  683    20       79
   15:  718    22       81
   10:  274    22       61
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

A-P-P-A-R-E-N-T-L-Y my body likes to sleep more than it does to contest. *SIGH*
I tried to catch a nap late Friday afternoon after working all day, but the
phone rang and there were knocks at the door, thus when I hit the pit at EU
sunrise Friday night (Saturday morning) I was pretty tired being up for 23
hours.  I set the alarm on my iPOD-touch(tm) but forgot to hit save.  I did
have a backup plan unknowingly instituted by my conscious self earlier in the
day and that was to leave my bedroom/shack, curtains open in case I fumbled my
alarms and the light would wake me up.

Thankfully, the person who dreamed this up was not tired and it worked !  That
meant I missed any LP DX on 160m and probably a lot of them on 80m, but there
were still far off lands to be had on 40m, so a couple mults went into the log
S&P on Saturday morning.

I got tired of being stomped on, so this is the first (major) contest in a very
long time that the amp was on, yielding 500-600w depending on band.

Reviewing the RBN quickly it seems the graphs are a little closer to others in
the Maritimes and New England, however my signals suffer pretty bad due to
el-crappo antennas on 10-15 & 20.

Who would've predicted I would make 1100 Q's on 160 & 80m alone with low
wire antennas?  Alas, most of my antennas look more like a teenage Hallowe'en
prank than they do a real antenna farm. (ie: toilet papering the trees, but
using wire instead of TP)

I took 2 pretty good sleep breaks (4 hours and nearly 3 hours) and also had
some meals with the family, just so they knew I was still alive.

Now for some totally random thoughts and I'll follow at the very end of this
with a description of the station.  I would like to read more of these as
sometimes I'll hear someone really REALLY loud and would like to know what is
working for them, but they supply a 3830 report devoid of details (or none at
all) and their QRZ profile is blank.

Now the randomness some say I am known by:

-My call is NOT 4E9AA...(and do you really think it is?   Really? Cmon!)

-Yeah right, say "QRL?" then 2 nanoseconds later start to
CQ.....gimme a break

-WOW you are loud.....and deaf (a certain 4X station who had hoards calling
him)

-KT8K.....I wish I had a big tower !

-K5ZD (*and other W1's) have really good ears on backscatter.  Helps to have
the amp on this year.

-80m is amazing !

-160m is ALSO amazing.  yeeha !  Am I sure I am on 160?

-Neighbours electric fence popping is giving me a headache.

-Miss Rich, KL7RA, but I see there are more KL7's running this year than ever.
(who usually S&P)

-Hello to Olli DH8BQA

-D4C....what an op !  FB OM

-W4ML....RUN EM !! (U 2, hi ;-D)

-Is N5DX in Maine somewhere?

-Lots of CWops members calling in.

-C92ZO....way to go.  New zone for Marko

-TEN is open... Ten is open.....where the (bleep) is everyone.  Some F/G/DL's
are hitting S9 and there aren't many on.  Es link after supper in EU no doubt.

-20m is disappointing with AU flutter too.  No doubt in part to my crappy
antenna.

-Why am I getting called by so many VE's? (and thanks to Yuri VE3DZ @ VE2IM for
a couple bands for Zone 2....I do realize I am a zero pointer, but no way around
that one.

-No VO@'s heard

-Missed some real juicy mults this year by doing less  S&P and no telnet.

-After a while, all those LY, YL, YT, LZ 4 letter calls start to sound the
same.

-Carribean is rockin' !  Don't think I missed too many of those fellas.  Easy
to spot with hourly passes through the band.

- I feel SO1.25R....Radio 1 had the (ahem) GOOD antennas and small to medium
amp, whereas Radio 2 had no amp and ran only a ZS6BKW (G5RV-like) antenna at
30'....it also puts out 50-80w depending (I guess) on its mood.

<edited> CABSTATS, then antenna description:
Gross QSOs=3640        Dupes=38        Net QSOs=3602

Unique callsigns worked = 2520

The best 60 minute rate was 154/hour from 0331 to 0430
The best 30 minute rate was 176/hour from 0332 to 0401
The best 10 minute rate was 204/hour from 0338 to 0347

The best 1 minute rates were:
 5 QSOs/minute   11 times.
 4 QSOs/minute  120 times.
 3 QSOs/minute  368 times.
 2 QSOs/minute  632 times.
 1 QSOs/minute  698 times.

There were 174 bandchanges and 67 (1.9%)(wow-see, told ya!) probable 2nd radio
QSOs.
----------------- C o n t i n e n t   S u m m a r y -----------------
                 160     80     40     20     15     10  Total    Pct
North America    233    386    401    358    198    181   1757   48.8
South America      3      5      8     19     13     23     71    2.0
Europe           100    344    409    280    491     54   1678   46.6
Asia               0      4     10     17      4      1     36    1.0
Africa             2      5      9      9     10     12     47    1.3
Oceania            0      1      6      0      1      1      9    0.2
???                0      0      1      0      1      2      4    0.1
Total            338    745    844    683    718    274   3602

Number of letters in callsigns
Letters  # worked
-----------------
   3        37
   4      1817
   5      1185
   6       540
   7         4
   8        11
   9         6
  10         2
Total    338    745    844    683    718    274   3602

Multi-band QSOs
---------------
1 bands    1904
2 bands     330
3 bands     163
4 bands      79
5 bands      31
6 bands      13

The following stations were worked on 6 bands:

K4TCG       N0HR        W3LPL       E7DX        DL0CS       N0NI
W3GQ        WE3C        K5ZD        D4C         CN2AA       W2FU
W0AIH

OK, stn description:
Radio 1 is a IC-7410
Radio 2 is a IC-746 which I think is slowly dying. Only a ZS6BKW on this.

Other antennas:
10m. Low A3S @ 24' on my shed. (works so-so when the band actually opens)
10m. HF9V
15m. Ditto & Ditto
20m. Again, ditto
20m. HF9V on my shed.
20m. 4 square which honestly does not work as well as the HF9V, except to null
noise in various directions.
40m Delta loop, Top @ 35'.. fed horizontal (yeah, I know) to null some E-fence
noise.
40m HF9V on , yes, you guessed it, my shed.
80m. HF9V....only when desperate.
80m. Slightly elevated ground plane, top 20' is bent over a little.
160m. Inverted L (50' up, the rest is horizontal) over a mile of buried
radials.

That's it from the 'Ridge.  Enjoyed it and appreciated all the calls.  Even the
ones who worked me, then CQ'd on top of me 30Hz away.

Mike VE9AA, dit dit