[3830] CQWW CW HP1/K6CT SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW HP1/K6CT SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 13:13:36 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: HP1/K6CT
Operator(s): K6CT
Station: HP1/K6CT

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: HP
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:
   80:  190    10       20
   40:  244    16       57
   20:   83    19       42
   15:  104    16       34
   10:   79    15       33
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

What an interesting,PITA, weekend.  First real contest for me from HP and living
in an antenna challenged apartment drove me to find a marina where I could set
up FD style near the water. Found just the place, only 25ft from salt water so
erected Zero 5, 33ft V Dipole for 40m - 10m and a modified Buddistick for 80m.
The Buddistick was mounted on 2nd floor hotel balcony with large coil, 14ft
mast and cap hat w/single elevated counterpoise. Antenna setup went smoothly
and anticipated quick rig setup (had run dummy run at home prior to
deployment).
  K3, check, KPA500, check, KAT500, check, microham mK II...huh, what, oh
noooooo. Had the mkII octopus cables but no mkII.  Oh well, had brought old
backup, Keyspan USB with DB15 to do the keying so at least have computer
keyboard....then computer could not find the driver...off to the Keyspan
website and WTF? No longer supported UPR-112 but only UPR-112G; Googled but
could not find a driver.  Everything would have to be sent and entered by
hand....this gonna be long contest!
  Now to test rig....much whirring and clicking with the KAT500 looking for
proper setting of V Dipole, which is fed with 50ft of 450 ladder line to 4:1
balun then RG8X to rig.  The components were all connected by Elecraft KPA and
KAT cables so should be all automatic.  Disaster....KAT goes red, KPA goes red
and K3 power out/recieve dead! Hmmm, thought all these store bought cables were
supposed to protect from gremlins...tried power supply reset, ANT2 and Aux RX
input on K3, still dead.  Well, so much for the K3 chain.  But, at least I
brought my 10yr + old K2/100 which I built back in 2003/2004.
   So contest starts with K2 driving KPA500 and KAT500.  This is a real goat
rope to operate....no CAT, no keyboard sending...luckily I had taught myself to
send with my left hand so I could still do some computer entry.  Ai ya yiiii,
keyer sliding around on desk top, now I have to hold key with right hand and
send with left.  Running is painfull, so I resort to S&P.  I hardly
remember how to operate the K2 but the Nifty mini manual was in the K2
container.  Figured out how to set messages with call and exchange.  Push
"msg + number", two step process to send my call. Ugh.
   The contest location was a good find...very radio quiet and being next to
salt water, the VD played nicely, surprising me a number of times with one
call. Speaking of which...this "HP" is an issue...too many guys think
they hear "SP" then go ??? when I send 5nn 7.  At least the K2 was
front panel key speed control so I can slow down to 20 wpm at first part of
call...even the speed merchants had troubles at time. No way I could cruise at
30-33wpm with HP1/K6CT....local Buro says I can have HP1XT (paperwork takes
about a month) and QRZ does not show a SP1XT so I hope that call sign
recognition in the future will abate this problem.
All together, was huge challenge operationally for me, reminded me of old days
with paper log and operating pileups as VP2VDX back in 80s and 90s.
Low bands were surprise for me...very quiet, no T-storms nor static crashes.
Still a thrill to work the really long haul stuff like JAs on 80m.
   Tnx to all for the Qs and next time I WILL have a written checklist. Got
home to find the mKII sitting on top of the AC line filter and small UPS that I
decided at last minute not to take...next time, will stack on top of rig..73 Tom