[3830] CQWW CW K9UIY SOSB/40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9uiy@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K9UIY SOSB/40 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 18:33:49 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K9UIY
Operator(s): K9UIY
Station: K9UIY

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 27.5

  160:
   80:
   40:  376    31      103
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This was a blast!  Even though it's truly a challenge from the Black Hole of the
center of USA to get through to most areas of the world with 100 W, it's still
fun.  I thought that 40 M conditions were mediocre at best.  Compared to last
year, about 100 Q's less for about the same time on the band, but more
multipliers.  A resulting score of less than in 2014.

I got a late start ... first QSO was at 0042Z.  Was out of town for the USA
Thanksgiving holiday and returned home Friday with really not enough time to
get mentally ready and psyched up ... and not really getting a good night's
sleep in a different bed than at home ... plus a good friend passed away
earlier in the week and attended the funeral wake/visitation for him and his
widow and their family.  I also went QRT earlier than I would have to go out of
town again on Saturday morning for the funeral.

I was able to get things going, finally.  But unlike in recent years, was not
able to CQ to get some really good runs going.  And I spent sometimes too long
in pileups.  But, with only a few exceptions, I was able to work everything I
heard.  SU90IARU and IS0AFM were the only ones I heard and was unable to manage
a Q with that I remember.

Missing nine zones:  1--22--23--24--26--28--34--38--39.  Almost missed zone
29...heard VK6HG and W6PH in QSO.  So I called VK6HG just a little bit off his
frequency ... not knowing it was W6PH Kurt's run freq ... and Kurt stood kindly
by while VK6HG came back to my call.  Quick exchange followed by a
"TU" to W6PH for letting me grab that one.  Mega THANKS Kurt !!!
That was pretty cool.

Had some good luck getting through to some really HUGE pile ups, and some took
forever it seemed like.  I knew that Marko N5ZO was going to be at C92ZO, but
scans of the band never heard him at the right times ... until in the last hour
there he was!!  And nobody calling!  He came right back to my call ... a DOUBLE
mult of zone and country!  Polar path to Asia was not good ... lots of auroral
flutter.  Not as many JA in the log this year.  Northern EU was decent, though
with QSO's made many hours after their sunrise.  It was not via long path
either.

Good show by those on DXpedition trips.  And thanks to CQ Magazine and those
who make this contest so great over the years ... one of my favorites!  Special
thanks for all the Q's and those great ears pulling my 100 W sigs out from the
ionosphere.  As I said earlier, it was indeed a blast ... let's do it again!

73, Vic -- K9UIY
Freeport IL  USA