[3830] CQWW CW VK2IA SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vk2ia@vkcc.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VK2IA SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 21:02:50 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VK2IA
Operator(s): VK2IA
Station: VK2IA

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: Coonabarabran
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 3630    39      130
   10:
------------------------------

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

First contest from our new country property. Set up was still FD style with a
spider beam on a 10m mast. With station building being "work in
progress", I decided to go SOSB this year with 15m being the band of
preference - a good choice in hindsight!! While sunspots are clearly going
down, I was able to still enjoy the pile ups, particularly from North America
on day 1 which totalled 2,200 Qs.

I got a first hint on what the location has to offer and was very pleased
despite a few trade offs that I knew (or didn't know) about before:

- Take off to JA and EU is not ideal and wouldn't pass the terrain modelling
  test. Something I can't do anything about except for raising antenna height,
  which is the plan.
- Power line noise when beaming to EU. Unfortunately, the noise was strong
  enough to give me a hard time when callers were S3 or weaker. Something that
  needs to be addressed ASAP and hopefully can be resolved. Thanks for all
your
  patience!!

Since my move to Australia 18 years ago, I operated in most CQWWs from zone 29
(VK6AA, VK9AA). And this was an interesting change back to where it all started
then - in VK2. Driving to the station (still a 6 hours drive from Sydney) is
something I am not really used to and a nice change to catching planes.

Great activity and scores from all around the world. Dan N6MJ sure has taken it
to the next level. Stunning!!

Thanks for the Qs and the great time!!
73
Bernd VK2IA