[3830] CQWW CW ED8X M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW ED8X M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 22:25:13 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ED8X
Operator(s): RA1A LZ2HM YT6W JT1CO YO9GZU YO9WF K1XM K3JO KQ1F K1LZ EA8DO EA8LF
Station: ED8X

Class: M/S HP
QTH: EA8
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:  121    21       80
   80:  922    30      117
   40: 2167    39      142
   20: 1728    39      147
   15: 1464    40      155
   10: 1464    37      136
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

The CQWW CW 2015 was great opportunity and unique challenge for us.

 For years I had strong desire and ambition to build a station in this part of
the world. Spain and Portugal were on the top of my list until I met Alex, RA1A
�" energetic young man with serious ambitions, technical skill and
financial commitment. We settled on EA8, which had numerous long-term
advantages to both of us and to the radio community as a whole.
In reality, the project started November 2014 when I operated on 10 Meter and
Alex focused on 15 Meter Single Band, in CQWW CW 2014 from La Palma Island.
This allowed us to check the QTH and to evaluate both the La Palma beach the
mountains of Tenerife. We choose Tenerife and shortly after that Alex purchased
the property.
Designing and engineering the station was the next great challenge. Velimir
K3JO, and I can write a long chapter about the traditional solutions and the
non-conventional approaches we had to deploy to make the station.  The result
were two containers pre-made and equipped with all that was needed, ready to
“plug and play”. The only remaining step was shipping (and receiving) our
goods to the final destination intact and on-time. Here we learned the first
hard lesson �" no matter how well you you’re your logistics and how
deep you consider all possible details, shipping of goods around the Globe can
always go wrong these days… and it did… Shipping two containers and number
of packages from three different countries to the Canary Islands appeared to be
greater challenge than we ever expected to meet.

We all know that hardware and equipment are just a small part of the whole
equation. It is the people, the team, the group spirit, which are of greatest
value in competitions like this and in any competition as a matter of fact. I
cannot say enough about the great crew we assembled in Tenerife. These were
people with amazing dedication and love to the hobby, whose commitment was
close to heroism. It cannot be described in few words!

I have been to many expeditions. I have seen people tired, exhausted, or
scared. I have seen it all. Not here in Tenerife! The team was together like 1
person. We work from dark to dark putting 4 towers together - separate
mono-banders stacks for Europe and USA, 3 verticals full size for 160. Two 3 el
inv. vee’s for 80 m ,another full station about 400M apart with a 20M tower 4
band antenna  and inverted vee for 160M and a single vertical for 80M .
While Velimir worked inside the shack amazingly we were ready with the whole
setup just an hour before the contest.
This was our second mistake and another major challenge - we had no time to
fully test the station. When we started the contest and things started getting
wrong. Emotions were high and at the heat of the moment, we decided to quit - a
wrong decision, which cost us stoppage of 5 - 6 hours.
Then, we considered all the efforts, all the energy and all the time that went
in preparation for the contest. We agreed that wasting all of it was not wise
thing to do and we started the contest again. This is what happened and here is
the result!
I would like to say this:
It does not matter what happen and what people can say. We know what we did and
who we are. So thank you team!
As hosts Alex and I learned a lot. Next time we will do things differently and
we will provide better.
In order to win many things have to happen at the same time! Most importantly,
we know that we will  tread our team like Formula One drivers - with respect
and commitment, and we will do it again!
 It is good that there is always a next time!!!

On behalf of the team ED8X,  Krassy K1LZ