[3830] ARRL 160 KE7AUB Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke7bab@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KE7AUB Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 17:38:18 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KE7AUB
Operator(s): KE7AUB
Station: KE7AUB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 5

Total:  QSOs = 35  Sections = 15  Countries = 0  Total Score = 1,050

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Started out as QRP - 1st three Q's, like my 2011 effort. Blah. What am I trying
to prove anyway - instanity? I already won the OR section QRP in this contest.
So on Sat, after my errands, up in to the attic to replace the 11 year in use
stranded 12 ga 30 odd year old speaker wire, with the new automotive grade 12
ga stranded copper I picked up in the summer. The old wire was a 3 piece 57
foot and the new is single piece of 100 feet. Hooked the new wire up at the
ah4, moved the dial to 160M CW, pushed the tune button and 1.3 SWR with green
light. Jaaaaaaa!

Cranked the power up to 100 watts and started sending. 1.3 SWR with about 75
watts peak out. Hey, I was now being heard..... He He He......

Had a lot of new fun (the 57 ft wire used to tune 160, but I fixed the solder
on the cable to the tuner and no more 160 tune).

Also checked in to my 75M SSB traffic net and it tuned and worked there too.

I'm not on 160 that much - tough even with 100 watts and it's really about 75
watts peak for me. But I really like 160 as much as I love 40. And since the 57
footer worked pretty well for all other bands, I did not want to break it and
crawling around the attic is not much fun. But after 11 years - time to change
and hopefully improve things somewhat.

100 FT of new copper wire + 100 watts (or a bit less) + 160 CW = A lot of FUN!

Thanks to all who heard my signal! I heard a lot more than I could work :(

Now I can play in my first Stew later this month too.