[3830] ARRL 160 N1LN M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N1LN M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 21:22:28 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): W0UCE N3ND N4CW N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 36

Total:  QSOs = 1584  Sections = 82  Countries = 41  Total Score = 423,950

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

When the starting gun sounded we took off on a run, and do I mean run.  Dan,
N3ND, opened up for us with a 150 QSO per hour average for the first two. He
was followed by Bert, N4CW, with a couple of 105 Q hours. By the time Jack,
W0UCE, and I finally got in the operators chair the rate slowed down some with
Jacks average in hour 5 and 6 at 100 and then in hour 7 and 8 I averaged 75.
Not a bad first 8 hours with a QSO total already at 860. The mults were staying
there also with 96 already in the log. Our first EU QSO came 9 minutes after the
contest start at 2209 UTC so we were looking forward to a great night for DX
also. Well, so much for our DX optimism. The domestic rates and mults stayed
with us but from the DX perspective it got very slow. RBN showed almost no
spots for us while other east coast stations were banging into EU. By the end
of the first night we only had 27 EU Qs.  NOT GOOD.

We spent some of the mid-day off time checking out various RBN sites and
comparing with other stations reports. For some reason we started out with good
reports and then just disappeared from all the skimmers. We could understand
lower signal strength reports due to our location and transmit antenna
differences, but not totally going away. What now? With no real time to drag
out the test equipment we just decided to motor on. Good thing we did. Night
two was totally different. Not yet great, but much improved. We were finally
seeing favorable RBN comparisons with other east coast stations and EU was
calling. For night two we put 76 EU Qs in the log. Sure would have been nice
for our points per Q average and overall score to have both nights like
Saturday.

In the end we were able to put 82 sections in the log, only missing NT. Never
heard it, never saw it spotted so don’t feel too bad. As for countries we had
41 mults and 103 five point QSOs. All the metrics were improved slightly from
2014 so we are satisfied.

On to the other side of contest weekend. The four of us have been the Camp LN
regulars for 160 contests for many years now and we have a great time both on
and off the air. It is always good to catch up with each other over a few
drinks and some good food. Good food… yes. Chef Archie was with us again and
prepared Saturday night dinner. There was no name for his original creation but
it was chicken based and a casserole that resembled a Mexican Lasagna. It was
EXCELLENT. Several layers, just the right amount of heat, lots of cheese,
perfect! Pair it with a few glasses of white wine and we all pushed away from
the table quite satisfied.

Between now and CQWW 160 it is time to test the XMIT antenna phasing, work on
both the EU and JA beverages and a couple other maintenance items. We will be
ready �" hopefully.

Thanks to everyone for the Qs. Thanks to the other multi-op entries for the
excellent competition.  Thanks to the DX for participating.

73 from the Camp LN crew,

Jack �" W0UCE
Dan �" N3ND
Bert �" N4CW