[3830] ARRL 160 K9MMS Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9MMS@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9MMS Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 22:56:36 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 21

Total:  QSOs = 882  Sections = 79  Countries = 11  Total Score = 162,000

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

IC-756PRO3  100 W
TX:  INV L with many radials plus ground screen
RX:  EWE;  185 ft reversible window line;  Hi-Z 3 element array;
        KD9SV RBOG 200 ft (new);  dipole
Pleased with the performance of the RBOG.  Decided to buy and install it after
reading the review by K9LA in the NCJ and from related comments included in
Carl's presentation at the W9DXCC convention in September.  Thank you Carl and
Gary (SV).

Seventy percent of QSOs via CQ runs.  On Friday evening, had some good runs
with the rate meter peaking around 150 at times and staying over 100 for quite
a while.  After night one, ended with 541 Qs, 74 sections, and 7 DX for about
10 plus hours of op time.  Could not get high rates with CQ runs on the second
night.  Spent too much time tuning for multipliers (a few hours).  That
probably kept me from reaching a new goal of making 1000 Qs in this contest.
Still, the number of Qs, multipliers, and final score are my best yet for this
event.

Missed WTX, AK, SF, and NT.  Both nights, briefly heard SF S&P then gone,
not to be found again and not calling in during a CQ run.  Finding WTX has
become difficult in several contests.  Glad WTX called in (W4 something as I
recall) during a CQ run late Ssturday night.  Did not hear a lot of CA stations
either night, but a few more were heard on Saturday night.

Friday night:  very high noise level -- mostly S9 on inverted L.
Saturday night: noise dropped to S5 to S6 on inverted L -- much quieter.

Not much DX heard.  Surprised to not hear many of the usual NA and EU DX
stations that are often on top band.  No DX heard during my sunrise.

It is really annoying that many operators do not pay attention to some of the
rules for this contest.  There were too many loud, USA, "CQ machines"
staying in the 1830 - 1835 kHz DX window.  It happens every year.  At times, I
heard some weak DX in the window, but trying to copy a call and make a QSO was
futile with the domestic CQs blasting away.

Friday:  Only EU station heard was G3UJE with a loud signal (with a little QSB)
who answered one of my CQs (near his sunrise).  I did not believe the call at
first, but it was verified with a repeat.  Never heard any other EU even when
tuning around EU sunrise.  Unfortunately, the noise level must have masked the
low-level EU signals.  Found and worked KH6LC while tuning for multipliers, but
never heard him again and never heard any other KH6 stations.  Usually, there
are 2 or three KH6 stations on in the 160 meter contests.  The noise level here
has been quite high on 160 meters the past couple of years, and that has really
hurt trying to hear and work DX.  (Not sure if it is from "gadgets"
at three new neighbors.)  Hopefully a solution can be found this winter.

Saturday:  Managed to hear and work EI2CN, GW3YDX, and OM2VL along with VP5CW,
KP3W, and KP2M (worked KP2Q on Friday).  Did not hear any other EU stations
during their sunrise sweep.  Perhaps others were masked by the high noise
level.

Top band is always fun -- including tackling the challenges presented by
limited space for antennas, noise, etc.

Thanks for the Qs, Ms, and fun.
73,
     Gary