[3830] ARRL 160 W0AIH(K0TG) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tg@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W0AIH(K0TG) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 05:27:09 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W0AIH
Operator(s): K0TG
Station: W0AIH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 13.5

Total:  QSOs = 990  Sections = 81  Countries = 19  Total Score = 207,300

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

I had been out on a business trip all week and did not get back until late
afternoon Friday.  Too tired for the 2 hour drive to The Farm, I decided it
would be a one night contest for me this year.

Starting out, I figured it would be great if I could make 800 QSO's in one
night and that number I figured was on the high side.  So that was the goal
starting out.

When I got things rolling and was into this a couple of hours, I expected the
rates to slow down any time.  They did not for a good 6 hours plus.  I sat in
the chair for 6 hours pounding away with hourly rates.  The only break was to
get up one time to turn the heater off and the other to open the door to get
some cooler air in there.

I had to call Paul to look at the amp.  Power output was slipping.  He came up,
and put an Alpha in place, but we never got that hooked up as my rate was so
good.  Just too good to stop.  Plus a quick tune of the amp got it up to 1KW
again. Not the normal 1500 watts, but it was better than stopping taking the
rate to zero.

Since I only had one night, my plan was to make as many Q's as possible.  I had
no thought that the rate would stay up so well for so long to allow 6 hours of
continuous running.  It paid off in the end with 13.5 hours of operating time
and 990 QSO's in the log (not counting dupes). At the 6 hour mark I had 705
QSO's in the log.

Then it was time to concentrate on some DX to add some mults.  A few had called
later in the run.  But most were S&P.

Mults worked:

XE,HI, TI, C6, VP9, PY, CX, PJ2, 9A, GW, DL, EI, F, G, GM, CT, ON, SV

EU Signals sounded pretty good and clear, there were just not a lot of them.
This contest does not seem to bring out a lot of DX, but conditions count as
well in that thought.  The K of 5 brought an end to the thought that I would
get KL7 in the log Saturday.  It sounds like they were worked on Friday though.
 No KL7 = no JA.  So no shot at JA this year.

Mults missed: AK, NT

WTX was one I wondered if I would ever get.  That one took a long time to fall
and when it did it was from a station I could barely hear.  I only worked one
WYX station.  SK was another one that did not get in the log until late.  The
usually tough ones seemed easier to get and some of the supposed to be easy
ones were not that easy to get.

There was a lot of ND action.  I worked 5 ND stations.  There was also a lot of
activity from OK which seems to up from previous years.  Good to see!

Thanks to Paul for letting me play in this fabulous playground.

http://www.qth.com/w0aih/

73, John  K0TG