[3830] ARRL 160 KK4R SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kk4r@cox.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KK4R SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2015 04:29:41 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KK4R
Operator(s): KK4R
Station: KK4R

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Virginia
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 163  Sections = 53  Countries = 9  Total Score = 22,072

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Last spring I put up my first 160m antenna, which was conceived as an inverted
L, but when the line went over the tree, a monstrous pine, I found out it was
nearly all vertical.  The ground system was a compromise between very limited
time for digging and the desire for a good antenna.  I only ended up with about
4 radials, but the ground losses were not horrible and radials can be added, so
it was enough.

  This antenna had only gotten some very limited testing on the air, so the
160m contest was a great way to find out just how good or bad the antenna
turned out.  I started late Saturday night and only stayed up to 2 am, so the
antenna didn't really get much exercise.  As I look over the results and
compare to the accounts on the PVRC reflector, it looks like the antenna is a
winner. My operating time was about 4 hours and change, and I only ran stations
for a little over an hour of that, so the count and location of sections was
great.  My last three QSOs were new DX multipliers, so if I hadn't pulled the
plug, I might have gotten quite a few more.