[3830] RAC Winter VE7UF M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE7UF M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 04:08:05 +0000
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE7UF
Operator(s): VE7JH VE7UF
Station: VE7UF

Class: M/S LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:   49     13       6         5
   80:  148     20      10         8
   40:  165     51      12         6
   20:  339     97      12        11
   15:  161     79      11        12
   10:   35     25       9         6
    6:
    2:
Total:  897    285      60        48  Total Score = 659,016

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

After seeing the SFI climb to around 120 at the beginning of the week we decided
to enter as MO-ST-LP and try to set a new category record. The task was daunting
and it required some good conditions. Well, Ol' Sol did help out.

The low bands were in superb shape, the low noise helped our 100W being heard
across most of the country.
The high bands were in good shape too, 10m gave us 15 mults, too bad I could
not get more people to QSY.
Swept (12 mults) AB, BC, SK, ON. Missed MB on 10m (probably spent 30 minutes
calling 2 or 3 VE4's on backscatter but no cigar) and QC on 160SSB and 28SSB.

Good showing from the North, we worked all 13 Canadian mults. VY0CF was the
only NU on 40m CW, too bad we QSY-d to SSB into the middle of the RTTY contest.
VE8NSD and VE8RAC did a great job from NT and there were 4 VY1 callsigns in the
log for 6 YT mults.

I figured we'd need 100 mults for a new record (turns out 101 was needed)
thanks to the great activity from every corner of the country we ended up with
108. This time we went purist and skipped the easy VHF mults.

411 VE QSOs were made or 35% of the contacts.
DX: NA:732 SA:21 AS:12 EU:6 OC:4
Low power does not get you far, but thanks to our cousins South of the border
it sure kept us hopping. 75% of the QSOs were CW, we could just never get a
decent run going on SSB.

The two operator setup worked out great, one guy running, the other turning
blue from frustration trying to work those Eastern mults waiting our turn
through the pileup. There were quite a few 10-15 minute waits for that elusive
mult.

As usual great fun was had in one my favourite contests. Thanks to all who
worked us, especially the ones that kindly QSY'd to give us a mult and kudos to
the organizers, their hard work is appreciated.

Happy Holidays and hope to see you all in 2016!

73,
Gabor, VE7JH  and Duane, VE7UF