[3830] RAC Winter VA7BEC M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7bec@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VA7BEC M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 19:28:11 +0000
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VA7BEC
Operator(s): VA7BEC VA7KO
Station: VA7BEC

Class: M/S LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 17

  160:    5      1       2         1
   80:   72     12      10         5
   40:   95     22       8         5
   20:  142    191      10        10
   15:  111    142       9         7
   10:   54     63       3         5
    6:
    2:
Total:  479    431      42        33  Total Score = 355,200

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

First, congratulations to the team at the world-class VE7UF contest station.
Seems that QTH had great conditions and produced awesome results. \(^_^)/

At our left coast location, however, conditions were challenging. The majority
of Qs were like whispers, barely above the noise. But then, like magic, a few
stations responding to our CQs came through so loud and so clear, even the QRP
guys!, that our ears hurt. Night-time activity on the low bands did not produce
anticipated Q numbers, although CW appears to have been the go-to mode on 40m
and 80m. SSB CQing was not nearly as productive. 15m and 20m provided the most
activity on both CW and SSB. 10m, as in the ARRL 10m Contest just a week ago,
was disappointing.
The SSB op (me!) gave the CW op (my OM) more chair time during respective band
openings, so the Q count is more balanced than in previous years. Nevertheless,
all components of the log are lower than in 2014.
Despite the challenges -- and there always are challenges, aren't there? -- it
was great to have Qs with all the VE stations that we did, especially those in
the Maritimes. It's like DX! We also managed to work many of the RAC stations
on multiple bands and modes. :) And there was solid support for the RAC Winter
Contest from our friends to the south.
We also had some lovely surprise Qs from long-distance friends whose signals
somehow made it through the noise.
RAC Winter is such a nice way to end the year. It's a great opportunity to
exchange a few pleasantries with all the folks who support amateur radio in
Canada and beyond.
And on that note, we hope that wherever and however you celebrate December's
special days, may the time be filled with laughter and wonderful moments to
remember. All the best for 2016.
73,
Rebecca VA7BEC and Koji VA7KO