[3830] TBDC W2GD Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC W2GD Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 03:12:55 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): K2SG K2TW N2HM W2CG W2GD W2NO W2RQ
Station: W2GD

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: FM29
Operating Time (hrs): 13.5

Total:  QSOs = 582  Total Score = 2,214

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

K3 x 2, IC746Pro, 2S1, OM2000HF,   Win-Test Software
2 element vertical Yagi @ 240' with NE, SW and Omni options
Beverage antennas NE, E, S, SW, W, NW
Low Dipole and HI-Z Four

We've always felt the Stew is an event perfectly suited for the hardcore 160
addicts among us (our Team is quite happy to associate with others who are
similarly afflicted).  There is just something about the complete 160 meter
challenge that makes it well beyond a simple compulsion.

This was not one of our Team's best TBDC entries....nor is it among our worst.
The Stew remains a unique 'happening' in radiosport circles with it's distance
and power based scoring format.  We look forward to it every winter and it was
a shame an unsettled sun and severe local weather diminished the joy of many
this past weekend.

Three of our team members spent several uncomfortable hours out in the salt
marsh Saturday afternoon trying to resolve lingering TX array tuning issues
identified during ARRL 160 weekend.  Unknown until it was too late to resolve,
some of the "tweaks" made actually worsened things .... hey, you
can't operate a contest station located  at 180 MURPHY Drive without expecting
more than your share of 'oops' moments.  We'll just consider this one an
'educational opportunity' with process re-engineering connotations.  The
obvious errors were made right again the morning after the Stew, but we learned
that a large wire parasitic element does not function all that well when the
wire somehow comes in physical contact with nearby tower components.....it
causes bazaar SWR changes. Threading a 160 meter sized delta loop reflector
element around a 300 foot tower is an exercise that requires both sharp eyes
and an appreciation for geometry. We're hoping no major coastal storms pummel
the SNJ shoreline over the next month.

Before bell we were shaking our heads for an hour trying to setup Win-Test
properly.....it simply would not recognize the Master.scp file.  We ultimately
gave up trying and called N6TV for the fix (apparently we weren't the only ones
who were unaware of the unique W-T file naming convention for this and certain
VHF events).  Thanks again Bob for guiding us out of the woods!

Severe RFI problems forced us to take 1.5 hours off during our EU prime
time....which pretty much took us out of serious competition.  The effects of
RFI in the shack had been driving us nuts for hours.  The run position computer
sounded like it was "drunk" when sending CQs and exchanges, and we
were loosing internet connectivity every few minutes.  After a lengthy
structured search, we ultimately found a defective commercially made RG8X
jumper was the primary source of the problem.

We logged just 70 EU stations this time....none had bone crushing loud
signals....actually most were at or near the noise level.  Our longest distance
QSO was a VK6 Sunday morning near sunrise.  No JA, VK, or KL7 heard, and just
two KH6s worked.  CW5W was a nice catch ... Jorge was exceptionally loud.  Best
distance contacts in EU were UW7M and R7AB.   W5s W6s W7s were TOUGH to raise
throughout the evening with the big snow and t-storms out there (when N5IA
asked for repeats and N2IC didn't come right back we KNEW conditions were very
difficult out west).  W9RE being just S-7 was another early indicator
conditions were punk at best.  After a reasonably snappy 103 first hour it was
pretty much downhill...but that's typical.

Anyway ..... we learned many important things about our station this weekend,
now know what has to be fixed and feel we're far better prepared heading into
the BIG ONE next month.

Happy New Year!

W2GD for the 160 Team