[3830] NAQP CW K6CTA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K6CTA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:14:24 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K6CTA
Operator(s): K6CTA
Station: K6CTA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

  160:
   80:   19     5
   40:   17    11
   20:   32    19
   15:   34    23
   10:   19    11
-------------------
Total:  121    69  Total Score = 8,349

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

With limited antenna farm, my operating habits have had to change to match my
station capabilities. Everything inside the shack is the same; it's the (very)
different antenna system that has changed. In general, signals received (for
the most part) are now significantly down in level from my past station. Plus,
it is very hard (if not impossible) to have any sort of run, so I'm now S&P
95% of the time.

For as long as I have operated contests, I have avoided both SCP and Pre-Fill
files, choosing to only use my ears. Just copy what you hear and put it down.
BUT - when signals are weak, and you are in continuous S&P, I decided that
these files could help in my enjoyment of the time I am on. So I installed both
for NAQP. I found the pre-fill to be a big help in my operating. I have a very
good memory (sort of an internal SCP and pre fill) and am able to remember lots
of calls names. But in this instance, with 75% of the stations that I hear weak,
I found that having the information in front of me and just matching what I
heard to the screen made operating much more enjoyable. There were plenty of
cases where things didn't match and I had to change the name (or location), but
you knew right from the start of the exchange. I don't think I had to ask for
one fill. In any event, at least at my current location, I'm a convert!

I also found the P3 to be invaluable. Tuning up and down a band for Q's is
tiresome at best. At least I could see when there was something new on
(relative to the Q's that had been populated in my band map). It's too bad I
can't click on the P3 screen to get to the station.

In any event, it's a new world at the HOA restricted K6CTA! But still fun to
get on.
Thanks for the Q's....

73,
Ed - K6CTA

Equip:
Elecraft K3/P3
N6BT Bravo 5 remote tuned vertical dipole
50' end fed wire in garage attic
WriteLog