[3830] CQ160 CW KA1J Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW KA1J Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 19:12:00 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KA1J
Operator(s): KA1J
Station: KA1J

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: SE Connecticut
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 407  State/Prov = 45  Countries = 10  Total Score = 53,350

Club:

Comments:

Another fun contest, actually they're all good as long as the equipment holds
up. Not as good for DX as other attempts in earlier years. No DX from EU though
I heard plenty, they didn't hear me. Not surprising but it was cool to listen to
EU DX work other EU & SA DX and hear both sides of the contact.

The best ears definitely go to KH6LC for pulling me out on his 2nd attempt, a
6000 mile romp on 160 QRP is excellent. Next best ears go to AC6DD, HK1MW &
HK1R for a 2600 mile excursion (All the same distance from here). I can't fault
anyone from not wanting to take the time to pull a weak signal out. One really
juicy DX had me as KA1W instead of the correct call KA1J, they couldn't get the
"J" right away and understandably, they gave up. Another DX thought I
was KA1O and also gave up after the 3rd try. Most of the DX fails were a
"?" and "KA?" and then back to CQing.

The band was relatively quiet all considering. For a change, I didn't have to
suffer massive lightning crashes albeit AMTRAK always is a constant RFI in the
background, sometimes obliterating everything on 160 for 2-3 minutes till their
overhead wires stop oscillating and causing arcing. Nothing to be done about
that. To their credit, they had a work detail actually came out and clean the
insulators close to me but arcing several miles from me, on both sides of the
track create a signal that gets here. Of course the worst traffic on this major
artery between New York City & Boston comes at both graylines. When we moved
here, there were nothing but Diesel engines, now all electric.

Thanks to all who pulled my difficultr signal out. I know I worked quite a few
very faint signals and perhaps that's Karma in action and They were QRP for me
to pick out. It all equals out.

73 folks,

Gary, KA1J