[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N1WK/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1ujay@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N1WK/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 10:59:10 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  115    24  Total Score = 4,032

Club: ECARA

Comments:

This was a bunch of fun in the true spirit of this hobby.

We (N1WK W1UJ) started the project plenty early enough, but things came down to
crunch time for sure.  There did not feel like any pressure as is was quite a
bit of fun for the preparations and deployment.

Saturday morning Kim came with the truck nearly bare with the work box built
and wired, antennas ready to mount and the radio with all of the peripherals
ready to deploy.....

There were many issues, but not a single show-stopper.

Operation was from 3 grids;
FN42 in the Douglas state forest right at the Douglas, MA + Webster, MA town
line (Close to W1UJ just-in-case!) Most contacts were made from this spot.
N1WK/r transmission took a beating with turning the array in the small public
parking lot.

FN41 On top of the pull-off at Jerimoth Hill, RI. Transmitting from the highest
point in the state of RI.  It was here that it was discovered that the 6m Moxon
beam was 180 degrees out from the rest of the array. Corrected quickly!
Pressing on!

FN31 On top of a hill just West of the KE1LI QTH on top of a hill in a turn-off
on RT44.  We could not make a QSO with KE1LI on 903/1296 although so close....

Towards 1a EST we headed to the KE1LI VHF Superstation to unwind and retrieve
turkey sandwiches.  Here it was discovered that the rover's 10a fuse was open
for the 903 Transverter, it was also discovered that there were two-knobs
required to switch in the UHF 'high bands' IF at KE1LI. After correcting these
issues we made the contacts!

This project was a bunch of fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB4lccPMnBQ

 We will do it again.