[3830] ARRL Jan VHF VA3ELE Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3ele@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF VA3ELE Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 02:47:37 +0000

  5.7:    1     1
  10G:    2     1
  24G:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  145    75  Total Score = 24,225

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

300G 1 QSO - 1 Mult

Conditions seemed terrible on Saturday with many antenna problems on 2m.
Besides the antenna issues, we were very deaf without a working preamp. At the
start of the contest, Steve VE3SMA was working away on 222 and 6m while I was
climbing around on the tower trying to get the SWR fixed on 2m. Ended up with
bad chassis connectors at the feedpoint (cheap NON-Local junk) I managed to get
one of the two 2m yagis working enough to atleast have decent SWR. The other 2m
yagi had broken solder from the connector to the driven element, i tried to
solder that back together on the tower but, it was just too windy to heat it up
with my little butane soldering iron. On 6m we had noise that would come and go,
mainly sticking around s9 (and dropping to s0 when no one else was on, of course
Mr.Murphy was having a good laugh). Once 2m was kind of working, we discovered
that 1296 seemed pretty deaf, figured that a bad 4 port switch needed some help
to stay in position to get a proper connection from the 144 IF to the
transverter selector. By Saturday evening most things were sorted out and QSOs
were starting being made on most bands. Sunday, the conditions seemed to have
immensely improved to about average from terrible. As a first time running
multi-op from this QTH with all bands from 50MHz-10GHz + 300GHz, I would say
Steve and I had a good learning experience. Thanks to all that ops/stations
that we managed to work including the rovers that braved the weather and Steve
VE3SMA for helping out at the operating desk. Surely the score would not be
nearly as good without Steve's great CW ability and operating experience.
73 de Peter VA3ELE- FN03dm