[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K2DRH Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2drh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K2DRH Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 23:06:57 +0000
                    ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN41vr IL
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  104    44
    2:  128    42
  222:   61    28
  432:   91    31
  903:   13     8
  1.2:   19    12
  2.3:    1     1
  3.4:    2     2
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  419   168  Total Score = 115,584

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

The story of this VHF contest begins with an ice storm with 60-80 MPH winds
right after Christmas that destroyed several Midwest antenna farms.  While my
QTH was mostly spared, the local electric distribution system was not.  After 2
years of work and rework ComEd had finally cleared up most of my power line
noise sources last October, of course AFTER the September VHF contest. The
storm not only re-damaged some of them, it created new ones to the west and
north that are really nasty with walls of S9 noise the noise blanker can’t
remove. Of course it takes a long time for the utility to get around to such
“low priority” work and it doesn’t even get in the schedule (at least 6
weeks out) until the lines are surveyed and troubleshot by a power quality tech
who often takes weeks to even get to it. Then it usually gets bumped a few times
for higher priority work so things drag on for several more months even when you
raise hell about it. So I’m dreading this next round of delay after delay. The
electric distribution system out in the country is getting old and maintenance
budgets are tight after deregulation spawned massive price undercutting so
there is no budget for improvement, just expedient repairs. Basically the
politicians left the utility holding the bag for infrastructure costs while
allowing third party power marketers with no such burden to cut into their
bottom line. Consequently that quiet QTH out in the country is fast becoming a
myth.
The ice storm was kinder to my antennas then some, but the ice load and high
winds did take one director off my 2x11 6M stack and skewed the 222 antennas
out of alignment with the rest by almost 10 degrees. Luckily going into the
contest everything seemed like it was working at least as well as it had in
Sept. 902/3 is still not right but there was no time to replace the power
divider coax that I suspect has gone bad at the antennas. The day of the
contest the 902/3 mast mount preamp decided to quit. No big loss since it
didn’t seem to help much anyway. The first QSY to 222 was a bust and the
transverter was not keying up despite working fine an hour before. Quick
troubleshooting revealed no power to the sequencer that was easily resolved,
but it still took time off right at the start when there are lot of stations
around to work.
Conditions on Saturday were dismal despite the mild weather for January.
Stations past 250 miles on 2M were all but non-existent and the QSO rate was as
slow as I’ve ever seen it even for January.  It really stayed that way all day
with the only bright spot being chasing the rovers, made easier by cellphone.
Unfortunately there were fewer rovers out than normal and the ones to the north
had to transmit CW so I could hear them through the intense PL noise. The
evening was interesting with many Ms QSOs being set up on line, but I’m still
glad I made some primary WSJT skeds before the contest. Unfortunately my last
sked of the night with K1TEO was a bust when my 6M final gave up the ghost.
Took me over an hour to recover with another old and much lower power brick
(about 50-60 W) by which time my internet provider went down (for about 3
hours) forcing me to give up and go to bed.  Luckily it was back up again in
the morning and I was able to catch Jeff on PJ to complete our usual Ms
contacts on 6 and 2M. Not being sure how well the venerable 6M brick could take
it, I stopped doing the high duty cycle modes and concentrated on good old
fashioned contesting.
Luckily the bands were in a lot better shape on Sunday; not really good but
much more like flat instead of depressed. 6M scatter seemed really good to the
East but hardly anyone could hear me 6 db down from normal when I called. I set
up a few skeds with some of the stations on ON4KST and was particularly
impressed when K1SIX could still hear my puny 6M output on CW. I was pretty
happy that my really low power seemed to be working whenever I QSYed a station
to 6M even if we did have to go to CW a lot more often. But calling CQ was not
productive like it usually is. Guess the combo of 200W and high gain antennas
really has me spoiled!
2M and up got a lot better as the day went on, but things still fell off a
cliff most times on 902 and above.  I only made one 2304 QSO with W9SZ who had
a really tough time in the mud and wind in his hilltopper spot, and I was his
only 2304 contact! There is just nobody to work on 2304 less than 250 miles
away anymore! In the evening there were pretty 2M good conditions to the West
out 400 miles and more, and I put N0LL in EM09 in the log, but had to do it CW
and still had difficulty due to the PL noise in that direction.  All in all
pretty pleased with the outcome since I managed to finish a lot stronger than
negative conditions on Saturday, the awful PL noise and limping on 6M would
suggest.

73 de Bob2