[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K7XC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7xc_tx@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K7XC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 03:57:21 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:   9     5  Total Score = 45

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

The day before the contest (In 70 MPH winds) I Built a brand new
homebrew 6 ele 6M beam based on the 7.1M boom 50 Ohm design from
DK7ZBs website. Early Saturday morning it started snowing and finally stopped
around 1130AM, after dropping 8" of the stuff. I dug the new ant out of a
24' drift and redimentioned the elements and spacings based on some computer
modeling I did that morning. Added a homebrew high performance Ferrite core 1-1
balun, attached/sealed a run of coax and secured it in place. After a quick
inspection I raised the
tower to the vertical position and then cranked it to its full height
of 25'. It tested exactly like the program predicted it would.
Starting the contest late at 00:30Z it took a while to get anyones
attention. Beginning at 00:59Z a flurry of short lived activity
followed by... boredom. Spinning around CQing on CW netted... Nothing.
Finally hearing some SSB I track it down to someone way south of me who
is BSing on the calling frequency during a CONTEST! One of my pet peeves as the
band has tons of room... No Need to Block Other People From Making Contacts With
Your selfish Insescent Chatter! At one point, one
 of the guys hears me and doesn't care, just keeps on blocking the freq from
anyone in the west from using it. Insanity! I hit the rack disgusted after
spending all this energy and time... for this!? Sunday morning the band at
least sounds somewhat alive with plenty of short MS pings. I fire up with 100W
on CW to the NW and after a bit of going back and forth I put VE7DAY in the
log! Thanks JOHN! Afterwards I work an old friend in CM98. With no one else on
contest is here.