[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TOL Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TOL Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 13:33:29 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  181    48  Total Score = 8,688

Club:

Comments:

Pretty dismal contest this January--both QSOs and Grids were down by over 50%
(ouch!!)---ya can't "compete" with the Southern New England stations
"running" 1s/2s/3s when you only work 9 stations to the
North/Northeast/East areas (Maine/Quebec/Maritimes/Newfoundland)!!
Fortunately though, I had NO power line problems at all as snow flurries
occurred all weekend....but that positive aspect was offset by a lower activity
level especially from Quebec (not even 1 qso from any VE2) and Ontario (only 2
qsos there).
Spent 60% of contest on CW mode this time around---decided to see if using less
SSB would change my contest totals (seemed to be a very high rate of new grid
multipliers using CW rather than SSB this contest, but the total amount of qsos
was way, way down).
Missed quite a few "easy/normal" grids in the NJ/PA/MD/VA area this
contest (like FM29, FM28, FM07, FM08,FM06, FM15, FM16)--heard many in those
grids but seemed that the path was open for only a few seconds at a time and
they could not hear me "screaming" at them.
Also, the usual Sunday morning "Scatter" window of 4-5 hours never
materialized---think only worked 14 stations that entire morning period, from
even before sunrise to noon.
And lastly, NO Aurora, NO backscatter, NO tropo enhancements, NO Es, puny
scatter burns of 1-2 seconds or less---a typical "slog it
out/butt-in-chair" type of January Contest on 6M.