[3830] ARRLDX CW 3V8SS(KF5EYY) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ash.kf5eyy@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW 3V8SS(KF5EYY) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 21:00:55 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 3V8SS
Operator(s): KF5EYY
Station: 3V8SS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Sousse
Operating Time (hrs): 27h00
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0     0
   80:   11     9
   40:  342    40
   20:  328    46
   15:  499    54
   10:  124    28
-------------------
Total: 1304   177  Total Score = 691,893

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Few days before the contest, I have set my SDR IQ to monitor high bands using
the tribander at 3V8SS location beaming to NA. It was clear; bands won't be in
good shape (Confirmed by the A/K indexes).

I took the opportunity of this contest to test my KF5EYY SO2R, I recently
designed and built, for Dual CQing. I selected the Advanced SO2R feature in
Wintest and created a new scenario well customised for such kind of low rate
operation and the set up I dispose. I lined up the CT-37HF Tribander to Radio 1
and the Spiderbeam (lower height, less performance) to Radio 2. Radio 1 was
always set on the band with the expected higher rates. The problem I faced is
with Wintest delaying CW to Radio 2. The delay is estimated to 2 seconds from
pushing any TX key. This has confused people and made the operation not very
productive. I did play with all configuration windows but the problem still
exist. Further investigation is required (anyone's input is welcome!).
Apart from this, the device was solid and working smoothly either in
RUN/S&P or Dual CQ. It has saved me from a shameful score, hi!
No BPFs were installed (I don't have them!). The effect is only distorted CW
signals on Radio 2 telling me someone is calling. Radio 1 was totally sealed
against RFI.

The first night made me desperate that any big propagation improvement can
occur. A single QSO on 80 was made on first day and 10 on the second. 10m was
open for 3 hours on Saturday but not a single QSO was made on Sunday. 20 and 15
were the best with solid and loud signals. Some QRP stations were worked
easily.

The results aren't bad considering these conditions and a Station-QSO average
distance of 7656 kilometers.

Thanks to EVERYONE for the QSOs! Very nice to meet friends on the air!

See you -may be- in the SSB leg Insh'Allah!

73 Ash 3V8SS/KF5EYY
www.kf5eyy.info
Whatsapp: +21622670026