[3830] ARRLDX CW W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, larryb@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 23:03:17 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:    2     2
   80:   37    30
   40:   79    48
   20:   97    57
   15:   74    50
   10:   23    29
-------------------
Total:  312   206  Total Score = 192,816

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

RIG: TS590S
ANTENNAS:
        160 - none, see comments below
         80 - dipole at 30'
         40 - 1.4 lambda vertical, 4 elevated radials at 10'
         20 - "half a dipole -- see comments below
         15 - the 40M vertical
         10 - "half a dipole -- see comments below
TIC: ~15 hours

100% S&P -- My CW listening skills are not up to running,
   and a lack of touch-typing ability means I have two levels
   of mental gymnastics to conquor before I can run.

Logger: N3FJP ARRL Int DX Ver 3.9
Comment about loggers:  I know YCCC people seem to prefer N1MM+.
   However, and especially for single ops running just one radio
   and new contestors, N3FJP's loggers are easy to learn and do not
   need any fancy configuration.  (Yes, they do cost ~$10, but do
   try the demo versions.)

GOALS
-----
This was my first ARRL CW from my QTH in Harpswell, ME, so
     I had no history to go on.  Last year (my 1st ARRL CW) I
     claimed 284K from my QTH in Woburn, MA, where I have better
     antennas on 20/15/10 but worse ones on 80/40.
So here were my goals:
#1 - 150K: Based on last years scores, enough to "win" ME-SOULP
   => ACHIEVED
#2 - 360K: 25% over last year, for the YCCC Improvement Award
   => FAILED
Actually, it was quite obvious on Saturday morning that 10M
     was not very good and goal #2 was probably going to be missed.

COMMENTS by BAND
----------------
160 - I don't have an antenna for 160.  However, I can load up
   my 6M yagi "system" and the coax run seems to act like some
   kind of weird end-fed wire.  Surprisingly, I don't have RF in
   the  shack.  I did make 2 Qs in 2 Countries (thanks 6Y1D and
   VP9/W6PH).   Of course, these will be offset by the 2 GJ0KE Qs
   on 20 and 15!

80 - My newly raised fan dipole (center raised from from 18' on
   the side of the house to a 30'mast) plays much better on 80M.
   This was my best 80M outing at either QTH in any of the "big
   four."  Eleven new countries for 80M DXCC, my last for 5BDXCC.

40 - A good band, no complaints.

20 - I did not finish the 30/20/10 portion of my new fan dipole in
   time for the 'test.  I finished one side of the 30/20/10 wires,
   so I was loading this beast as best I could. It did load on 20
   & 10, but the SWR was high and my modeling shows the RF going to
   the southeast rather than toward Europe.  Still, 20 being what it
   is, it was my best band.  Hopefuly I'll have the whole antenna
   finished by ARRL-SSB in two weeks. (I really missed my Moxon in Woburn.)

15 - The 40M vertical is OK on 15, but the take-off angle is too high.
   Lots of JAs Sunday night were spotted, but I heard very few. One of
   these days I'll get that SteppIR!

10 - See comments about 20.  The band wasn't very good anyway.  I do
   much better in Woburn with my 5el Yagi!

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ