[3830] ARRLDX CW NP2N M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW NP2N M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 01:14:24 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NP2N
Operator(s): W2VJN N3RD
Station: NP2N

Class: M/S HP
QTH: USVI
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  223    48
   80:  751    59
   40: 1050    61
   20: 1257    61
   15: 1095    60
   10:  861    59
-------------------
Total: 5237   348  Total Score = 5,467,428

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

It was a pleasure operating again with my good friend, and partner in Top Ten
Devices, George, W2VJN, the last time being at the big M/M HC8N in 2009 for CQ
WW CW.  This time we opted for a M/S with two K3s sharing the common
amp/antenna system, allowing lots of fun interleaving QSOs.

The antennas were all supported by on a single 30 foot tower:
160:  Inverted-L
80-40:  Dipoles
20-10:  Tennadyne T6
We had no RX antennas, which was generally OK, since the noise level was very
low all weekend.

The high rate in the contest was the first hour at 230, followed by three more
200+ hours.  By 04Z we had 850 Qs in the log.  Sunday’s better conditions for
the US-Eu path on the high bands made for very slow going for us, and we
wondered if we would attain our goal of 5,000 QSOs, but the bands got a lot
better when the European openings faded for the US, and we had a lot of fun
Sunday afternoon pushing to meet our target.

Due to ARRL's rule that the entire score must go to a single club, and since we
were a 2-man team, the club determination came down to a coin toss to determine
whether it would be the Frankford Radio Club or the Willamette Valley DX Club.
Not the most satisfying way, for sure.  A much better way would be for ARRL to
change to a proportion approach.

73 - Dave N3RD and George W2VJN