[3830] ARRLDX CW WO1N SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wo1n@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WO1N SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 04:31:29 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:    0     0
   80:  116    57
   40:  400    91
   20:  480    92
   15:  430    93
   10:   56    45
-------------------
Total: 1491   378  Total Score = 1,686,258

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station: FTdx5000, N1MM+, C3-SS@38', 40M Dipole@50', 80M DoubleL

Soapbox :

A tough test for low power / low antenna. I didn't spend the required time to
get a passive reflector 40M Delta loop system tweaked so it doesn't play as
well
as the simple dipole. They look great in the backyard, but they sat unused.
I really could have used some gain on 40.

80M was a grind. In 2010 I opened this test with a 73 hour on 80M using the
same
antenna. Not so this year. Just could not get a run going. The persistance
award goes to the PS2T guys for tenacity on this band. While I didn't work
them
and not for the lack of trying, many other were dissapointed as far as I
heard.
But they kept at it. Sheer will power.

The local suburban noise environment was relatively OK (read: really bad) but
promptly reporting faulty street lights and obvious arcing RF is paying
dividends. However, I'm on year 7 of extreme switcher noise every 50 KHz
affecting 160, 80 and 40.

Sleep management still remains a problem. N1MM+ shows Op-time of a solid 34
hours though Q's show in 40/48 hours. I really wish this contest wouldn't run
against the Daytona 500. I'm a race fan, hell, I even used to drink Bud, and I
will not miss the start of this race. Watched the pre-race and 1st 10 laps,
DVR'ed the rest.

Missed the alarm Saturday morning, not by much but enough to screw up being in
the right place at the right time. Sunday, however, I set two alarms and
was rewarded with a 60 minute run of 142 on 15M 1214Z to 1314Z.

The RBN has really changed the entire assisted category. The spots were
virtually flawless. The band maps were always full. As a low power operator I
was guaranteed to get noticed. I maybe spotted only 3 or 4 stations the entire
contest. I used the W1UE filters on WC2L's node. Perfect.

Some good comic relief was listening to N1IX and N1IXF attempting to work
II9P,
simultaneously, I believe on 15. The both walked away with good Qs but I'm
sure the II9P ops were scratching their heads.

Really tried hard to get something going on 40M Sunday afternoon. But without
gain, it was not productive. I would work a station every 2-3 minutes while
listening to local LP competition (W1MSw) manage a 2-3 deep pile up at the
same time. I had better rate S&Ping JA's on 15 and 20 in the last 1/2
hour.

All in all, finished up wanting more. That's the trick, ain't it?

CU in the next one,

Ken - WO1N