[3830] CQ160 SSB W3DQ Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB W3DQ Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 00:07:24 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): W3DQ N8HM
Station: W3DQ

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: DC
Operating Time (hrs): 13

Total:  QSOs = 408  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 14  Total Score = 62,272

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

After an almost flawless two weekends (ARRL DX and CQ 160 CW), Murphy paid a
visit this weekend.

First, we had audio issues -- voices sounded funny in the headset and we got
occasional reports of "funky" audio. Not necessarily distortion or
RFI, but enough of a concern for reports it. Although it took quite sometime to
track it down, the impact was minimal at best. We resorted to using the Orion's
message recording/playback capabilities on the Orion.

We had significant trouble with the N1MM+ telnet for spots. Still on that one
(more variables involved). Aside from the fact that the number of spots for
phone contests is *way* less than CW/digital ones, it didn't seem to make a
difference whether we were assisted or not.

>From this urban lot, the band was very noisy (using the vertical for
receiving), Having now heard recording from other (suburban) locals, I've come
to realize how noisy my QTH is. Fortunately, the Orion's SAF filter was the
miracle worker pulling the many very weak ones out of the noise.

Paul, N8HM, and I split the nights and the Q's almost in half in our tag-team
M/S effort (he did Friday, me Saturday). He had more mults than me, no surprise
as he started first. We each had a couple of good runs. Paul has far more
stamina than I do, that's for sure!

This is always a fun contest. It was great to see so many stations representing
DC... more than some other locations in CONUS.

73 until next time,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC
Orion 565 + Hercules II amp (500w)