[3830] NAQP RTTY AB1J Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY AB1J Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 18:05:18 +0000
North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Waltham MA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:   87    24
   40:  111    40
   20:  110    31
   15:   67    22
   10:    5     3
-------------------
Total:  380   120  Total Score = 45,600

Club:

Team: Baud Boyz

Comments:

If you don't have an 80m antenna in a wintertime domestic contest, you're sunk.
I've been sumberged for a few years but I figured out a homely solution for 80
which worked for the recent WPX-RTTY and here.  Having 80m was fun although the
competition was fierce at the end of the contest. The antenna isn't quite up to
that.

The overall contest went very well.  I scoped out the propagation in advance
with HamCAP which gave me a good idea of what to expect and when.  My strategy
was to work my way down the bands with lots (and lots) of band changes,
following the fading daylight. After dark I put up my secret pole to elevate
the back yard 80/40m antenna.

One of my last 20m QSOs was the most amusing, and a good mult, WL7CXP, the
Skinny Dicks Contest Club.  I'm not a politician and I'm not making that up.

Here's a comparison with my July 2015 effort. Both are raw scores. It isn't
fair to compare summer and winter, but it's still interesting.  I don't
remember what the deal was with 10m in July. The difference is almost exactly
the winter 10m + 80m QSOs. My conclusion is it pays to have better antennas and
be more alert to propagation. Like, duh.

AB1J July 2015    10 hours
Band  QSOs   Mults
80:
40:     141     34