[3830] ARRLDX SSB N3RS SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3rs@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N3RS SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 01:12:55 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N3RS
Operator(s): N3RS
Station: N3RS

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs): 32:45
Radios: SO2R

  160:   11    11
   80:  152    56
   40:  238    77
   20:  752   114
   15:  729   111
   10:  531    92
-------------------
Total: 2413   461  Total Score = 3,323,349

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I must be honest and say how happy I am that I can put the mic away until the
next contest season.  As a learner in the art of SO2R, I am becoming more
accustomed to not making all the bone-headed mistakes I have made in the past.
SO2R isn't as friendly an environment on SSB as it has become on CW.  It feels
like I'm in the middle of a street fight on SSB with all the noise and splatter
coming from all directions.  Conditions seemed better on Saturday here, despite
the looming geomagnetic storm.  On Sunday it really hit the over-the-pole paths
and signals had lots of flutter on them.

I tried to not over tax myself in this one, as I can never come close to the
masters on SSB.  I quit at 05:30Z on Saturday morning and returned at 11:15Z,
only to find the HF bands already open.  Then I quit at 03:45Z on Sunday
morning, returning at 10:15Z  I know I missed a lot of the low band QSO's but I
thought it would be better to stop early and get back on before the HF bands
opened.  As luck would have it, I managed to snag a number of juicy multipliers
on 40M & 80M before going to 20M to run.  Then I got a good start on
Sunday's 15M & 10M openings and increased the QSO count by a large amount.
Most of the first 12 hours were spent at working the band map as quickly as
possible and then running most of the rest of the time.  A 1 hour rest period
was taken at 20Z on Saturday and my usual 2 hours for church on Sunday had me
away from 20:30Z till 22:30Z.

Thanks to all who called in and suffered through my incompetence as an operator
on SSB.  I look forward to seeing you all in the WPX in a couple of months on
CW!  Thanks to the organizers and score checkers for the opportunity to
participate in this great sport of ours.

73 de Sig, N3RS