[3830] ARRLDX SSB KT8K SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KT8K SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 01:30:12 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EN82ch SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 4:21

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:    0     0
   20:    3     3
   15:   57    28
   10:   42    29
-------------------
Total:  102    60  Total Score = 18,360

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Another fun contest, and thanks to all who listened for my small signal.  I
hope you all had as much fun as I did.

I had almost no time available, but managed to put in a few short stints in the
station just for fun.  At first I wasn't sure the condx were going to be that
good, and 20m wasn't good for me, but 15m was better, and Sunday (when I made
all but 2 of my QSO's) saw the best 10 meter conditions I've experienced in
quite some time.

One thing I noticed was, more than ever, many stations not saying
"thanks" to complete a contact and just calling CQ or QRZ instead.
That was only a problem when conditions were crowded and I couldn't hear them
well, though.  There were a couple of QSO's where I had to assume they had my
exchange right and weren't just "CQ-ing in my face".  Hopefully those
QSO's are in their log as well as mine.

Murphy continues to play games with my antennas: the vertical trap dipole that
worked so poorly over the last couple of months was beating the rest of my
antennas almost the whole weekend!  And I thought that coax was completely
saturated, or there were ant nests in the traps again, but apparently not.  I'm
still going to take that antenna down for an inspection soon.

It was nice to have 3 antennas for 20 and 15, and 2 for 10, 40, and 80. I
highly recommend to other small station ops that, if you want to hear better,
have 2 antennas of different polarizations for each band.  It is surprising how
often I find switching antennas makes a difference of several S units, and that
often makes the difference between being heard or not.

Best of propagation to all, and I hope to log you all in the wpx!
72 de kt8k - Tim