[3830] ARRLDX SSB W1GD SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W1GD SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 14:44:34 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1GD
Operator(s): W1GD
Station: W1GD

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Jefferson, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:   38    31
   80:  141    60
   40:  218    78
   20:  353    97
   15:  471    96
   10:  279    87
-------------------
Total: 1500   449  Total Score = 2,020,500

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

What started out as a great contest turned into a frustrating weekend just 2
hours in.  My KT-36XA developed a high (3:1) SWR on all 3 bands around 0200Z.
The SWR has gone high when there's ice & snow on the beam, but it was a
clear, dry night. I checked again at 0615Z and it was back to normal! It was
still good for the morning European runs. But at 1500Z Saturday, it went high
again while I was actually having some success running Europe on 10M. I went
out to the tower with my analyzer and it definitely was a problem with the
beam. It never got better.  I decided to do what I could by using my Alpha 78
as a "tuner" for my K3 running about 200-300 watts.  Most of the
weekend, I felt like I was using my Cantenna on the tower! Running was out of
the question and I kept getting beat out by LP stations with real antennas. It
was especially frustrating not be be able to run 10M Sunday. Some ops were
amazing to pull out my call especially NA2U at KH7M on 10M and some guy at
J38DG on both 10 & 15.

The rest of the station worked great. Conditions on 160M were fantastic Sunday
night.

Station: K3 + Alpha 78
Antennas:
10/15/20: KT-36XA