[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1LT SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K1LT SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 17:52:05 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:   46    33
   80:   97    65
   40:  141    85
   20:  201   102
   15:  223   109
   10:  209    94
-------------------
Total:  917   488  Total Score = 1,342,488

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

For the big SSB DX contests, I always choose click-n-pounce since I
have little interest in having to comb through severe splatter and QRM
looking for weak callers.  There were some very mighty tall and wide
signals on the P3 this time.  Do you suppose a photograph and audio
recording sent to the offending station after the fact would have any
benefit?

10 meters was very interesting this time.  Saturday I saw the weak
European opening that I would expect from this part of the solar
cycle.  But Sunday, the even weaker opening came and went, and then
came back much later much better.  Was that F2 propagation?  Or F2
helped out by a strong dose of sporadic E?  Or was that the onset of
the geomagnetic storm?  On the second opening, a few eastern Europeans
were briefly quite strong.

The other 10 meter surprise was strong short skip for the last few
hours.  Since I was chasing spots all weekend, it was quite obvious
that there was no short skip to VP9, 6Y, C6, VP5 and others.  But
Sunday afternoon stations in these locations suddenly got quite
strong.  More sporadic E or a sudden rise in F layer MUF?

I took a few hours off Saturday afternoon to socialize with my friend
Bill, WD8AMX.  He is trying to talk me into moving to TI or some other
permanently warm place.  So far, I can't convince him of the future
potential of VY2 as a permanently warm place.  I am trying to talk him
into becoming a contester.

Early Saturday night we took a break to listen for C9 on 160 CW but we
heard nothing.  For the rest of the evening, I left the waterfall on
the phase arrays / SDR running while I went back to chasing spots.  I
never saw any hint of a signal from Mozambique on 160.

Late Saturday night I laid on the couch intending to doze for a few
minutes and instead slept solidly for 4 hours.  So I missed some DX on
the low bands although I worked a few at 0930Z that maybe made up for
the lost time.

DX worked: 3V, 4X, 6W, 6Y, 8P, 9A, 9J, 9K, 9V, A3, A4, A6, A7, A9, BY,
C6, C9, CE, CM, CN, CT, CT3, CU, CX, D4, DL, DU, E5/s, E7, EA, EA6,
EA8, EA9, EI, ES, EU, F, FG, FM, FR, FY, G, GI, GJ, GM, GW, HA, HB,
HB0, HC, HI, HK, HK0/a, HL, HP, HR, HS, HZ, I, J3, J6, JA, KH2, KH6,
KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OD, OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON, OY,
OZ, P4, PA, PJ2, PJ4, PJ7, PY, PZ, S5, SM, SP, SV, SV5, SV9, T32, TA,
TF, TG, TI, TK, UA, UA2, UA9, UN, UR, V2, V3, V5, VK, VP2M, VP2V, VP5,
VP9, VR, XE, YL, YN, YO, YU, YV, Z3, ZF, ZL, ZP, and ZS for a total of
126 entities, 3 more than last year.

I heard JA on 10 but was unable to be heard and I heard VR2XAN on 20
and only got as far as "K1?".

Worked PZ5W, WP2AA, KP2M, TO66R, VP2MMF, KP3Z, P40L, PJ2T, PJ4G, P40M,
HI3TEJ, HI3K, 6Y1LZ, VP9/W6PH, TI5W, TO5A, CR2X, YV1KK, V26M, HK1NA,
C6ANA, E7DX, NP2X, LX7I, ED7P, 5D3A, TM6M, CR6K, YL2SM, 9A1P, II9P,
S57AL, and 6Y6Y on 6 bands, same as last year.

When I ran out of new multipliers to chase, I would occasionally work
other stations.  This creates an interesting list of the most frequent
locations:

Mult     160     80     40     20     15     10  Total    Pct
I          1      4      4      9      5      9     32    3.5
PY         0      1      4      8      4     12     29    3.2
F          1      3      6      6      5      6     27    2.9
KP2        4      4      3      4      4      6     25    2.7
JA         0      0      2      8     12      0     22    2.4
EA         1      2      3      8      2      6     22    2.4
S5         1      2      6      1      5      5     20    2.2
P4         2      3      2      4      4      4     19    2.1
9A         2      3      4      3      4      3     19    2.1
DL         0      2      2      4      8      3     19    2.1
HA         1      2      5      3      4      4     19    2.1
G          2      1      2      3      4      7     19    2.1

I cut the list off at 2.0% for brevity.  I think the top 5 or so
demonstrate who is most represented when some band is open somewhere.

There was no surprise multiplier since I didn't call CQ at all.

Equipment: K3, P3, 8410, tribander, full sized verticals.