[3830] ARRLDX SSB CR2X M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kim.ostman@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB CR2X M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:10:53 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: CR2X
Operator(s): OH2BH OH2PM OH2UA OH6KN OH6KZP OH7EA OH8NC
Station: CR2X

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Ribeira Grande
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   454    57
   80:  1369    59
   40:  1884    61
   20:  3871    63
   15:  3079    62
   10:  2185    60
--------------------
Total: 12842   362  Total Score = 13,900,800

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

This operation marked the formal end of the Radio Arcala CR2X project in the
Azores, in its current form. After capturing the major European SOABHP records
in the CQ/ARRL contest family, flanked by all European single-band ARRL DX
contest records, it seemed fitting to celebrate by gathering most of the team
for a final salute in the M/M category of the 2016 ARRL DX SSB contest. And
what a weekend it was!

Our target was to break the existing European M/M record by using three radios.
Fortunately the contest ran smoothly, and so we were able to exceed our target
by about 80%. Indeed, it appears we may have unexpectedly reached the #1 WW M/M
top spot, unless somebody else claims a higher score! The low bands were in
particularly good shape on Saturday, whereas Sunday sported the better high
band conditions.

We were especially happy with how 10m performed on Sunday, and loud clapping
was heard in the shack each time a new multiplier from the previously difficult
W7 and W0 areas dropped in. Coupled with good 160m conditions, this allowed us
to far surpass the expected multiplier count: we missed only 16 multipliers, of
which the only "real misses" were NF and NS on 160m. Interstation
interference was minimal thanks to 4O3A's triplexing and filtering technology.
This allowed the team to work efficiently using the station's existing antenna
farm, aided further by the installation of one RX beverage.

And so one chapter of Radio Arcala's history closes. We are especially grateful
to our Azorean friends for their help; without the constant support of
individuals like José CU2CE, Francisco CU2DX, Fernando CU2BV, Mario CU2ME, and
Bruno CS8ABG, the achievements over these several years would not have been
possible. On a personal note, I'd also like to add my heartfelt thanks to
Martti OH2BH and Toni OH2UA for guiding my own contest experiences on the
Azores.

But the end of one chapter does not mark the end of the book. So: just like the
phoenix bird rises from the ashes, stay tuned for more to come!

On behalf of the Radio Arcala team,

73
Kim OH6KZP