[3830] ARRLDX SSB IR4M(IK4MGP) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ik4mgp@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB IR4M(IK4MGP) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 07:59:54 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: IR4M
Operator(s): IK4MGP
Station: IR4M

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MonteCodruzzo
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:   29    15
   80:  177    34
   40:  902    57
   20: 1821    62
   15: 1196    60
   10:  523    50
-------------------
Total: 4648   278  Total Score = 3,876,432

Club: Italian Contest Club

Comments:

Participate in SOAB instead of the previously planned MS was a
last-minute decision.

Being strongly Mult-operator oriented, IR4M station is missing the
necessary ergonomics to operate a "simple" SO2R, but... that's it!
By the way, after adding some wire here and there, the contest started.

40m in good shape, despite the band being overcrowded with splatters
anywhere. For three hours in a row I've managed to work the pile-ups
with an African station just 500Hz apart from me. That was fun :)

Saturday morning strong winds forced me to point antennas against the
wind... finger crossed, hoping to find antennas safe after getting some
rest. Later on, luckily enough everything was still in plate, Phew!!!
In the afternoon rain and QRN in all bands made it hard to listen to
signals below S9.
20m amazingly opened till very late, with good signals.

On the other hand, lower bands were not as good, with no West coast QSOs
on 80 and just a few east coast on 160.

Sunday, rain and QRM again, but this time almost no winds.
In the afternoon, an unusual late 10m open started initially with low
signals from CA,AZ,IA but minutes later W6/7 were actually booming,
while east coast was heard with strong echo/reverberation as if signals
were from a polar path.
As per Murphy's law, in the middle of pileup the amplifier died, and
replacing it with a backup made me lose a lot of time :(

Sunday evening 20m closed earlier, and so did my contest: 40m from EU at
22z it's a mission impossible, so better go to sleep!

Unlike in CW, where Skimmers spots somehow make everyone in a level
playing field, on SSB spots ARE important: when receiving one, the
pileup quickly grows-up even at the end of the contest. I envied those
who received many more spots than me.

Congratulations to Braco E7DX for the great result and for sharing his
score on cqcontest every time!