[3830] Rus DX KP2M(K2PO) SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@conwellpdx.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX KP2M(K2PO) SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 02:31:30 +0000
Russian DX Contest

Call: KP2M
Operator(s): K2PO
Station: KP2M

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: St Croix
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    24    0         8         1
   80:   183    0        44         7
   40:   485    0        65        34
   20:   391    0        57        39
   15:   343    0        53        31
   10:     6    0         4         0
Total:  1432    0       231       112  Total Score = 2,533,398

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

It's been raining in the Pacific Northwest for most of the past six months, so I
was ready for some Caribbean relief.  The KP2M station at Radio Reef in St.
Croix beckoned.  Station owner Philip, KT3Y, and on-site manager Wess, K2AHU,
made me feel right at home.

I'd planned to operate Mixed mode.  But the high bands - where a barefoot DX
station can sometimes get a decent run going - never opened enough to make it
worthwhile.  So I ended up with a CW-only entry.

I had several hours with rates below 15, after Europe was in daylight, and the
few folks left in darkness in the Americas who - like me - were nutty enough to
operate the full 24 hours, eked out the odd QSO with each other.  Finally, with
about 90 minutes left in the contest, 20m - and then 15m - came back to life.

I'd thought that from here in the Caribbean, 10m would be good for at least few
European QSOs.  Not this weekend.  And although I'd worked several Europeans on
160m a few days ago, I managed only one in the contest.  (Fortunately, it was a
Russian - a double-mult.)

Friendly local rivalries down here in the US islands help keep things
interesting, even when conditions are poor - with serious efforts this weekend
by NP2X, NP2P, NP3A, KP3Z, and me �" probably over 8000 QSOs in all.  I
expect most contest participants logged the KP2 and KP4 multipliers.  (I think
all the local stations are well-equipped with good antennas and salt water
views, and were beaming the same directions; it will be interesting to later do
an analysis of RBN data and see what differences, if any, are evident.)

After a short post-contest nap, a group of local hams met at a favorite beach
bar.  I could get used to this.

73,

/Bill, K2PO
Radio Reef