[3830] VaQP K1HTV SOAB/MixedFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1htv@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] VaQP K1HTV SOAB/MixedFixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 04:29:21 +0000
Virginia QSO Party

Call: K1HTV
Operator(s): K1HTV
Station: K1HTV

Class: SOAB/MixedFixed LP
QTH: CUL, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

  160:    2      6
   80:   60     95
   40:   81    176      7
   20:   50     88     41
   15:   24      9     31
   10:    9      6
    6:    3     10
    2:    2     65
  UHF:    1     30
----------------------------
Total:  232    485     79  Mults = 193  Total Score = 247,389

Club: Fauquier Amateur Radio Association

Comments:

Bonus Station Summary
Callsign(s) :
K4NVA,W4CA,K2SSB,W4DOW,N2VA,W2HHT,KD4QIT/M,W4ZA,W4HFH,N3JS,N4CF,N4TGE/E
Bonus QSOs : 12
Bonus Points : 1200

Rig : K3, IC-706MKIIG (2M & 70cm), TYT TH-9000 (223 MHz)

 Antennas :
160M - Shunt fed 75 ft tower
80M - 30 ft high NVIS dipole with 1/2 wave reflector & 80M wire vertical
40M - 15 ft high NVIS dipole with three 1/2 wave reflectors, (2) 65' high
ZS6BKWs * 40M wire vertical
10-15-20M A3S yagi at 70 ft
6M - 7el LFA yagi at 77 ft

Soapbox : The VQP started Saturday at 14Z with the K Index of 4. Conditions
were terrible on all of the HF bands. During the first few hours I managed to
work some not too strong Europeans on 20M and some SA, Caribbean and African
stations on 15M. The NVIS antennas were of no help at all on Saturday. 40M was
much poorer than normal all day Saturday. Managed to work a few Asian mults on
20M as UTC Sunday started. As evening approached 75/80M conditions improved,
averaging a QSO a minute until the Saturday session ended at 02Z.

I got back on Sunday morning after church around 2 hours into the second VQP
day. 40M had improved considerably withe the NVIS antenna performing much
better than the higher ones.

On the VHF and UHF bands, working the local fixed stations and 18 mobile
stations made things interesting especially during the the poor HF conditions.
Ten HF mobiles produced numerous QSOs and many new and often rare multipliers
to the K1HTV log, mostly on the second day.

The QSOPARTY.COM website proved to be a great resource for learning of new
multipliers on the bands.  There was a steady stream of spots posted throughout
the VQP.

Because of the poor first day conditions, my overall score was about 50K lower
than last year's. The QSO total was down 112 from last year but the multiplier
of 193 was 2 higher, mainly because of a better focus on working more U.S.
States. I had lots of fun and am looking forward to next year's VQP.

73,
Rich - K1HTV