[3830] WPX SSB NE5LL M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NE5LL M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 00:26:41 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NE5LL
Operator(s): NE5LL N1CC
Station: NE5LL

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 28

------------
  160:    0
   80:   56
   40:   60
   20:  449
   15:  400
   10:   96
------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  Elecraft K3/100 100W to Force 12 C-3 @64', 80/40 Fan Dipoles at 50',
one broadside N/S the other E/W, Inverted L (160) 50' vertical 78' horizontal
with 8 elevated shortened radials.  No RX antennas used.  Software: WriteLog
version V12.03G. All operation audio was recorded and is available to the CQ
WPX committee if requested.

This was a "MULTI-ONE-LP" operation.  Linda NE5LL and Jim N1CC had
invited other NTCC members to come out and take part, however, no volunteers.
We'll invite operators again ... we are about 100 miles from most other club
members.

Radio Conditions: Challenging.  10 Meters was down as expected, however, the
unusual propagation combined with the low-band antennas made both DX and
stateside contacts very difficult on 80 and 40, and no signals were copyable on
160 Meters.  Friday night had to use the Inverted L to work any stations at all
on 40 Meters, and on Saturday did work some stations on the EW Fan dipole.

While multi-ops have not been required to provide audio recordings, it seems
that my offer to the committee may be in support of Rule XIII.1, A., 5.
"Signals with excessive bandwidth (e.g., splatter, clicks) or harmonics on
other bands." I have two candidates that fit this rule, both multi-op
stations.  One in particular, a stalwart of many contests created a 12 kHz
disrutption around his run frequency.  I was "in that region" in that
I was already running on 21.355.00 when the violating behavior started on
21.351.30.  As the recording showed, the splatter and distortion products were
stronger than the offending stations actual voice when tuned in.  I should note
that I am using the K3 steps to prevent most excessive BW issues, including no
NB/NR, reduced RF Gain, Attenuator on and no preamp.  I challenged the
operator, who said "we are having an exciter problem".  In my book,
if you do, you take that station down and fix it or just lose that band during
the contest.  I await hearing from the committee as to the utility of the tape,
and will identify the stations to them on their request.

As those of us who have worked in a lot of multi-ops we all know the host
typically does not catch all operator "misbehavior" during the heat
of battle.  It is up to all of us to learn to be good operators instead.

This was a fun event, and except for the much better conditions in 2014 this is
our best score from this location.  73, Jim and Linda.