[3830] WPX SSB KT8K SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KT8K SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 00:29:38 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EN82ch SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 15:53

------------
  160:    3
   80:   30
   40:   35
   20:   64
   15:   69
   10:    5
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Phew - tough going on Saturday got marginally better on Sunday, but I am packing
and cleaning to put the house on the market (anyone want a beautiful home on the
2nd highest spot in Ann Arbor, MI?), and under the gun to get that done.  That
made for spotty operating which N1MM inflated substantially via the 60 minute
off-time rule.  Sometimes it was amazing how easily I was being heard,
especially on 15 and 20m, and just a few minutes later I couldn't be heard by
anyone for ten or twenty minutes, and then it would open up again.  40m was
great but too crowded for a QRP-er to be heard often, but 80m might have been
as good as I've ever heard at times.  I had fun as always in the few minutes
available.

So ... I haven't found the new house yet, but maybe it will permit a Big Tower?
 I've been singing about it long enough
...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWZjzrzgwA  I get a big grin when someone
says "I want a big tower, too" or similar during our QSO.

Unfortunately my wife wants to stay in the city, so I am looking for a ranch
house on a high spot or good sized plateau with big trees to support my
antennas - probably won't have a big tower in town.  :-(

I haven't taken down the antennas quite yet - I was saving them for this
contest and hope to have them (or a reasonable substitute) up again before WPX
CW.
Equipment:
- Tentec Orion turned down to _4_ Watts (challenging myself)
- WGA TR-2000 headset with sewing machine foot pedal

Antennas:
- W-shaped 3-wire dipole for 20/40/80m, feed point ~50 feet up, RG8x fed
- vertical trap dipole for 10/15/20m (not good on 20, fair on 15, great on 10m
(must be ants and spiders in one of the 15m traps) fed with RG8x 60 feet up
- 500 foot horizontal(?) loop in a crescent moon shape, wire ranging from 12 to
65+ feet up, fed with 100 feet of 300 Phm TV twin lead and an LDG Z-11
autotuner

Thanks to all who listened hard for my small signal.  See you in the log next
time!
72/73 de kt8k - Tim