[3830] WPX SSB WB4OMM SO(A)SB20(TS) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb4omm@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB WB4OMM SO(A)SB20(TS) QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 02:09:36 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: WB4OMM
Operator(s): WB4OMM
Station: WB4OMM

Class: SO(A)SB20(TS) QRP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  225
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Yaesu FT-2000 @ 5W; and Elecraft KX-3 @5W; Heil ProSetPlus,AT-1000Pro, WinKeyer
USB, HP Compaq dc7800 MiniTower dual core; A3S Beam with 10M/15M/20M at 38',
Yaesu G-450A Rotator; N1MM contest software.
Band conditions were pretty good, even with the Saturday static crashes from
the thunderstorms in the adjunct parts of the state.  Minor rain here, but no
"lightning shows" like the rest of Central Florida!
I never can figure how a contest will go, especially QRP.  Some stations I call
once, some  a few, some I call many - and then others that are pegging my meter
I call repeatedly but no joy!  I got quite a few "surprises" in this
contest.
I easily made European Russian QSOs on a one or two calls over the pole; lots
of flutter on their signal, but they cam  right back.  Also heard several BG
and HS stations, but my puny 5W just didn't make the trip - ditto the JA
stations early Saturday evening.  I also made several (at least 6 or 8) South
American QSOs Saturday night over the North Pole (long path)on one or two calls
with the 5W!!!  Wow!  Talk about skip.....yet I had to call numerous times to
Germany, Italy, and France, areas that I would normally have thought would have
been much easier to work.  I only worked a few of them (and the Germans were
booming in).  Lots of patience, and after the Saturday session, I started
getting hoarse....only worked an hour and a half Sunday (but thank goodness for
the voice memory keyer - I would have lost my voice mid-Saturday without it!
To all of those stations that stuck with me on what seemed like endless
""Again?" and "the WB4?" for me to get the exchange
through, my heartfelt thanks and appreciation!
I also got a chance to try out my KX-3 on a few at my home station - no VOX
headset, but it seemed to work as well as my FT-2000.  Since the KX-3 is
designed to do QRP I will most likely operate in the next QRP level contest
with it.  Just need to work up an adapter for my Heil Headset for the VOX
control.  N1MM worked FB with it.
No to bag the Heard Island fellas!
73 to all!  Hope you enjoyed the contest as much as I did!