[3830] WPX SSB OH0X(OH6KZP) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kim.ostman@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB OH0X(OH6KZP) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 15:09:11 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: OH0X
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH0X

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Brando
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:   27
   80:  468
   40:  842
   20: 2021
   15:  644
   10:    0
------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Checked the base of the main tower in daylight before the contest, since the
direction indicator briefly went crazy in last weekend's RDXC. It turned out
that the rain protection of the related potentiometer had flown away in some
winds, so fortunately it was easy to fix and everything looked and worked OK
now.

Propagation was OK in my opinion. 20m was in good shape, but on 15m and 40m,
OH0 was too far north this time for tapping into decent W/VE runs. This shows
in my low p/Q of 2.92 on 40m, but I'm happy with 2.70 on 15m (just would have
needed more QSOs!). The prefix-rich 15m JA path was marginal and on Sunday also
the US path closed quite early, but there were still nice signals from South
America.

The most interesting QSO of the weekend was working KL7RA on 40m in the middle
of the Alaskan day. Not sure how that one happened, but there certainly was a
solid signal coming in from due North...! :)

There was minor technical trouble with the logging program and DVK integration.
All of a sudden nothing would come out of the DVK memories, which then required
multiple program/router restarts on both Saturday and Sunday. Not quite sure
what's going on; I stopped recording the audio as a precaution, but it still
happened again. Also had a rare but brief electrical outage on Sunday morning,
just after starting my break (what a nice contest feature, especially after
going mad from listening to SSB splatter..!). Fortunately it lasted only some
minutes, and everything started back up OK after the cold shutdown.

Once again, thanks to the Brändö Island Group and Radio Arcala teams for all
support. Congrats to Tonno ES5TV for taking the Baltic Sea honors this time!
Thanks to all for the QSOs, lets hope for less splatter next time. :)

73
Kim OH6KZP