[3830] WPX SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, andrewfaber@ymail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 18:02:27 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: P49Y

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  222
   40:  723
   20: 1504
   15: 1831
   10:  744
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

What a change from the last few years of excellent high band conditions.  My
claimed score is actually just about the same as in 2014 (but well down from
W6LD's outstanding P40L score of last year from our station), but compare the
band totals: 2014, 10m:2357, 40m:267, 80m:0 versus 2016, 10m:744 (and almost no
EU), 40m:723, 80m:222.

But the station worked well, and my programing changes to CQPWIN to allow using
the K3's internal messages for both radios were successful.  This was fortunate,
as I was losing my voice (due to the after-effects of a lingering cold) on
Sunday.  The beverages worked great, and even helped out Saturday evening on 20
when a local noise source started up.  They are very directional on 20, which
required constant switching among  them to pick out answering stations.

Congratulations to Jean-Pierre, P43A, for a terrific 15m single-band score
using his brand new prefix, P45A.  And congratulations to him and Cris (P43C)
for convincing the enormously bureaucratic licensing authorities on the island
to issue it for the first time. And Emily, P43A, Martin, P49MR, and Lisandro,
P40AUA, also handed out Aruban prefixes.  Although Art, N3DXX, was operating
from Ben's QTH (formerly P49V), I never ran across him in the contest, though
we had a nice visit beforehand.

Thanks to everyone for participating.  And special thanks to the many US hams
on  10m during our limited hours of propagation who weren't really in the
contest, but stopped by to hand out a number one. And, as usual, thanks to
John, W6LD, and Ed, W0YK, for keeping everything shipshape with the station
(and to Cris and JP for ditto with the house itself).

73, Andy, AE6Y, P49Y
Rig: K3x2, Alpha 91B, 86
Ant: 2 el 10, 5 el 15, 4 el 20, 2 el 40, 1 el 80, C31, beverages
Software: CQPWIN ver. 12.9