[3830] NCCC Sprint N6TV LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint N6TV LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 03:29:34 +0000
NCCC Sprint - May 6

Call: N6TV
Operator(s): N6TV
Station: N6TV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

  160:   3      2
   80:   8      5
   40:  14     11
   20:  22     17
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  47     35  Total Score = 1,645

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

The NCDXF generously lent me a new Icom IC-7300 for software testing.  I decided
to give it a test in a contest to see how it would perform, so I was limited to
just one radio in the contest time (I'm not set up for SO2R with two different
radio types).

The transmitter and keying sounded fine on this end (unlike many of the
stations I worked who are not aware of the K3 high-speed keying issue).  I
switched the Icom menu setting to the maximum 8 ms rise time to avoid key
clicks, and left it in semi-breakin mode, because the relay REALLY rattles in
QSK mode (and you can't disable the amp. relay; there is no "MOSFET"
setting as on other Icom radios).

The IC-7300 receiver audio sounded OK, but the filters seemed to have trouble
when there were lots of stations crowded on the band, and I had to back the RF
Gain way down.  There were lots of loud static crashes tonight and I'm not sure
that I like the way the receiver handles them.

Overall, I think the K3 receiver works better (on CW at least) than the
IC-7300, though they both could use some improvement.  Having the built-in
waterfall scope was very nice.

Rig:  Icom IC-7300
Ant:  5 el 20, 3 el 40, 1 el 80, Shunt Fed Tower for 160
SO2R: microHAM MK2R+
Software:  Win-Test 4.21.0-dev

73,
Bob, N6TV