[3830] InQP AE8M Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] InQP AE8M Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 16:10:26 +0000
Indiana QSO Party

Call: AE8M
Operator(s): AE8M
Station: AE8M

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 23 COUNTIES
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:    4
   40:  434     51
   20:   81      6
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  519     57  CW Mults = 61  Ph Mults = 35  Total Score = 105,120

Club: Dillman's Amateur Radio Experimenters

Comments:

Thanks to all who called, every QSO is appreciated.  The most frequently worked
stations (outside Indiana) were KV8Q 21, KQ3F 17, VE3NBJ 16, OM2VL 15, WA2VYA
15, KJ4IZW 12, N0LY 11, WB0PYF 11, DL3DXX 10, W9GHX 9, AD1C 8, KB0BA 7, NU0Q 7,
W0GXQ 7 and many others at less than 7.  Again, thanks to all who called.
PA was the most frequently worked state with 56 Q’s, followed by OH with 55
and MO with 51.
I have gone mobile in state QSO parties a number of times, usually parking to
operate.  This was my second attempt on the move with a driver.  It is much
more difficult to pull weak stations out of the noise while moving.  I
apologize to those that I could not pull out of the noise and I resumed CQing
while you were calling.
The noise blanker in the KX3 works very well at eliminating ignition noise when
the engine runs at a constant speed.  However, the noise blanker is ineffective
when the engine speed changes.  We were frequently on winding and hilly roads
the first half of the contest which caused the engine speed to change
constantly, making it difficult to hear weak stations.    Furthermore, the
thunderstorms in the region, and on top of us the last 3 hours, created
frequent static crashes.  Consequently, I had to ask for numerous repeats.
Thanks for your patience.  Once when I mentioned to Bob (the driver) about the
static crashes, he commented that “you can hear them, but I can see them.”
Indeed, at one point there was almost a constant display of thick, multiple path
lightning bolts.
Bob, N9SF, was my driver/navigator.  He was absolutely marvelous.  He was
incredibly accurate at predicting the advent of the next county line.  I could
concentrate 100% on operating the radio and never had to worry about the route.
 We ran into several unexpected road closures.  It seems to me that Indiana does
a lousy job setting up detours, creating a 10 mile detour when a 2 mile detour
would suffice. I believe they would prefer that you drive forever in the
countryside rather than go through the main street of some town.   Bob has an
excellent knowledge of Indiana back roads derived from participating in bicycle
events in his younger days.  This knowledge enabled us to take sensible detours
rather the official detours.
My rig was a KX3/KXPA100 at 100 watts into hamstick antennas.   Going mobile in
a state QSO party is great fun.  If you want to feel popular, at least for a
day, I urge you to try it.  In spite of what internet gurus will tell you, you
do not have to buy fancy expensive antennas and butcher your car to have fun.
If you park to operate, it can be pretty easy.  Carry a separate battery (AGM is
preferred for safety) to power the rig; no need to wire into the car electrical
system.    Use hamstick antennas (or Hustlers) which are removed while moving
so you do not need to worry about the mount falling off at higher speeds.
Activate a few rare counties.  You will make a lot of Q’s and have fun.
73,
John, AE8M/M