[3830] WPX CW N3RS SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3rs@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N3RS SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 01:12:53 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N3RS
Operator(s): N3RS
Station: N3RS

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs): 31:45
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   54
   40:  917
   20: 1113
   15:  462
   10:   13
------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Well, this is one for the books.  I had planned a full 36 hour effort to attempt
beating the current SOA HP record, but the contest gods were not with me this
year.  A troubling power line noise put a buzz at ~ S4 on 20M & 15M when I
put my Yagis on the center of Europe.  I had to run the Europe on those bands
with the Yagis pointing NNE and the noise blanker in the K3's engaged.  Made
for some crappy sounding CW and a few lost QSOs.

All in all, Saturday was not so hot on 15M and 10M was even worse.  Made most
of the 15M QSOs on Sunday, even though I made the bone headed mistake of
leaving the alarm set to "OFF" on Saturday evening.  I went to bed
early Saturday night thinking I would get up in time to pick up some Japanese
prefixes on 40M before going to 20M.  Well, my wife woke me up just before 14Z,
asking if I wanted to sleep!!  When I finally got down to the station, 15M was
wide open and there were spots for 10M as well.  40M was shot so I jumped
directly to 15M and picked up spots on 20M with the second radio.  Did the best
I could to recover, but I had to take my usual break from 19Z till 21Z for
Church.  Luckly, 15M opened to Japan before the end and I picked up a number of
good prefixes.

Thanks to all who called in and to those who stayed with me when I asked for
multiple repeats when the noise peaked and the noise blanker couldn't handle
it.  I hope to be in next years WPX and give it another try.

73 de Sig, N3RS