[3830] WPX CW W6YX(N7MH) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W6YX(N7MH) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 18:41:28 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   71
   40:  336
   20:  721
   15:  316
   10:   13
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Woke up at 5 AM on Friday and couldn't get back to sleep. Rising so early forced
me to take an early break at 0630Z to sleep for 6 hours and I missed most of the
6-point JA/Asia opening on 40.

I worked only a handful of JAs on 15, a few just before my break on Day 1 and
then a few more a couple hours before the contest end. There was a nice opening
on 20 to Asia on Day 2 that peaked between 0600 and 0900 where I finally
accumulated many of the JA mults. Rates on 40 to JA/Asia were much lower than I
recall from previous WPX efforts, running low power and lower activity on the
second day may be responsible.

No EU was heard on 15 on Saturday but on Sunday the band must have opened early
as I worked a strong UZ2M at 1338 followed by several other mostly eastern EU.
15 stayed open to EU even into the late afternoon but it seemed that most had
moved to the lower bands.

20 meters to EU with low power was a challenge. At times it was almost
impossible to work the strong stations with auroral flutter but virtually any
G/F/CT/EA station was workable, even if much weaker. Eventually I was able to
work almost anyone in EU who was loud as long as no one else was calling.

There were strong signals from the Middle East on 20 - A4, A6, A9, several
HZ/7Z and 4X/4Z, but I only worked one 4Z and 4L.

Thanks to everyone who endured multiple repeats of my callsign and number.
Usually I'm the one asking for repeats while running high power.

73,
-Mike, N7MH