[3830] CWopsT KG5U LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CWopsT KG5U LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 21:31:20 +0000
CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1900Z Jun 8

Call: KG5U
Operator(s): KG5U
Station: KG5U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 1
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  22     22
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  22     22  Total Score = 484

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Lowest score ever. 20m SWR started out at 1.2:1 but rose to 3:1 or so after
about fifteen minutes. at 1935Z, I couldn't take it any more. I removed the 20m
BPF from the line and fed the antenna directly to the radio. SWR was still high.
So, the filter wasn't the problem, it was the antenna. With my trusty old
MFJ-259, I was able to confirm at the AV640 base that it was, indeed, the
source of the high SWR. Yay! I happened to bump the black box that is some sort
of matching network housing for the antenna and the SWR dropped back to normal
1.2:1. I tapped on the box and, tapping around the box sides I  was able to see
the SWR repeatedly jump to 3:1 and back down to 1.2:1. Hy Gain has been sent an
e-mail and I hope to hear from them soon.

73 de Dale, KG5U

Station:
2- Ten-Tec Omni VI\'s
Ant: AV640 (10-15-20), 40m inv vee, 80m in vee
S/W: N1MM Classic (Plus is too buggy at KG5U)