[3830] ARRL June VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 08:27:56 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  158    55  Total Score = 9,955

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I started in San Joaquin Valley in the town of Grapevine (DM04), elevation 1500
ft.  I only stayed there 1 hour because I only made 7 QSOs.  Drove down to the
valley floor over the line in DM05 and only made 10 more contacts.  KD7DCR DN35
came thundering in long enough to make a QSO.  Must have been a rock.
Unfortunately, there was road construction on the southbound I-5 near Magic
Mountain, so it took me 3.5 hours to drive to my next spot in the Santa Monica
Mountains Recreational area (NPOTA RC17).  Unfortunately, the vista lookout I
had intended to operate from was filled with racing motorcycles.  I circled
back again and found a parking spot.  I made 18 QSOs there, all on 6m. It was
great to work Brad W6BJB who also had the idea to activate RC17 for the
contest. Was surprised to work W6KKO in DM07 on 6m.  In retrospect, I should
have got out my 2m antenna and 440 to work stations in LA basin.
Sunday morning I went to Signal Hill (DM03) and was greeted with a nice band
opening to Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana.
Moved over to Signal Peak - Newport Beach where I had a small opening to VE6
and VE7.
Finished the contest on a hill in Pomona for DM14.  Propagation and
participation dwindled to nothing, so I pulled the plug at 0100z.
I managed to work 5 new grids on 6m, so I was happy about that.
Next year I am going to stay in the Los Angeles area for the 4 grids here.  I
need to minimize driving time.  Starting on the back side of the mountains only
yielded 8 mults for me.  73, Tim N6GP/R