[3830] ARRL June VHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cru@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 14:35:26 +0000

  3.4:   0      0
  5.7:   0      0
  10G:   0      0
  24G:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  73     57  Total Score = 7,080

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This contest was relaxed for me, did not take 6M intentionally (no room for it),
had 4 elmts off-vehicle on 144 for locals, ran no skeds with anyone, seldom
called cq.  On Saturday, started in FN03 for the afternoon then moved to a
major commercial tower  in FN04 to meet with the gang at VE3RB running MOLP,
not a good site.  I wondered why the bands went quiet, totally unaware of the
good 6M opening.  Left to go home before dark, was headed west on Hwy 401, dark
clouds overhead with a gap of bright sky on the horizon.  Dipped  into a valley,
looked on the horizon and saw a vehicle with an unusual rooftop driving slower
in next lane.  Caught up, was VE3SMA/R with VE3RZ in the back seat.  Pulled off
at the next service center and got my only Canadian rover qso's on 144 and 432.

Sunday started in FN14, with a better run on qso's but nothing heard/worked on
222.  Moved to FN13, very poor, only 3 qso's so moved to the usual FN04 site,
excellent vista here.   Had another good run, but was obvious midway that 432
had problems.   At 7:30 local, only K2LIM and K1WHS heard for past hour, had
worked both so headed home.

Discovered Monday that the vertical 222 got caught in trees entering FN14 site
and the DE was a disaster so no Q's all of Sunday.  The 432 had a hairline
crack in the solder on the back of the N connector.  I did have 2304 and 3456
ready, but never got a qso on either band.  For the big MOHP's, got 4 qso's
with W2SZ, 2 with W3CCX and  2 with K1WHS and 2 with W3SO.   Worked 8 rovers,
most were with the Rochester VHF Group.  No rain and not too hot, so was great
to be out.

Best odx south was W4IY in FM08, east was K1WHS FN43, and west was VE3EU at
east end of EN93, no signals beyond.

Thanks to the ARRL for sponsoring and thanks to all who participated, and who
gave me qso's.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R