[3830] ARRL FD K8AJS 2E LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bastinj@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K8AJS 2E LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 12:17:53 +0000
ARRL Field Day

Call: K8AJS
Operator(s): K8AJS N8CEY N8JBG K8RMC N8RNK
Station: K8AJS

Class: 2E LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    1      0      0
   80:   88     17      0
   40:  231    141      0
   20:  404     84      1
   15:  121      0      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
  222:    0      0      0
  432:    0      0      0
  903:    0      0      0
  1.2:    0      0      0
  2.3:    0      0      0
  3.4:    0      0      0
  5.7:    0      0      0
  10G:    0      0      0
  24G:    0      0      0
----------------------------

Club: Wayne Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

This year, we in the Wayne Amateur Radio Club decided to do our Field Day
operation a little differently.

We’ve gone out in the field and done our portable operations for a lot of
years; this year we thought that, in relation to the emergency-preparedness
aspect of this “contest,” we should acknowledge the fact that in real
emergencies, there is just as much likelihood that there will be occasions
where we will need to operate from home under emergency conditions as there is
the occasion to operate in the field.

With that in mind, this year we set up at the home station of K8AJS and
operated for 24 hours under emergency power (K8AJS has a home natural gas
generator that runs automatically in the event of power failure). This is a
possible condition for future emergency operation, so we thought it should be
recognized. (Also, none of us are getting any younger, and of course we
recognized the benefits of less setup and take-down time and energy…:-))

I’ve gotten away from WriteLog and have been using N1MM+ for contesting this
year, but we decided to use WriteLog for this contest, because of the past
history of club Field Day operations which have used WriteLog for a lot of
years, thus the benefit of software experience of the club members seemed to be
there.

The operation was deemed to be a success, we all enjoyed ourselves, made a lot
of contacts, and proved to ourselves that emergency operation was possible
while still having a reasonable amount of comfort.

An interesting finding: in past years, 40 meters has always been the “money
band” where we found we could make the most contacts, but this year that
wasn’t so much the case (although we did make a good number of contacts on
40). I had my most fun on 20 meter CW, where the contacts just kept coming for
the time that I spent there (we budgeted our time to get the most benefit from
the two transmitters, and we did our best to be where the conditions were best,
when they were best).

My thought is that if/when I do Field Day again from home, either alone or with
the club, I’ll throw up one of my five-band inverted vee antennas that we’ve
used successfully in the past when operating “in the field.” My home station
is designed for DX operation and the antennas are created to that end.
Short-distance communications with US stations take a back seat. I’m not a
hard-core contester, but when I’m a contester, I’m a DX contester first and
foremost…:-)

That’s the story of the weekend, a good time was had by all. Thanks to all of
you for the contacts!

Rigs: Elecraft K3 / P3, Yaesu FT991, 100 watts
Antennas: 160-meter Inverted L, 204-foot G5RV, 40-meter dipole, 3-element quad
Software: WriteLog v11.23L