[3830] ARRL FD N8II 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD N8II 1D LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 00:58:57 +0000

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Score includes no bonuses and excludes contacts with D class home stations which
count for ZERO points (-46 SSB Q's & -18 CW x 2 points each). I went
"native" only running 100W. Even with only LP several stations called
on 15 phone who I could not copy or faded before completing a QSO.

It was a fairly fun event despite plenty of guys on phone who operate only FD
in contests and do not operate very well. The quality of CW ops was better than
expected, pretty good! Part one of my FD was about 45 minutes at the start
operating 20 CW, 15 CW, and 15 phone. There was some Es on 15, but with a
limited coverage area.

Part two was joining K8EasternPanhandle the Eastern Panhandle (the 8 eastern
most WV counties) ARC at Poor House Farm park near Martinsburg, WV. The guys
are a very nice group of hams and the food was great with a steak and crab cake
dinner! They won the limited multi-op category in the September VHF contest in
2014, but are less serious about FD. A trailer mounted pretty high tower with a
large 6M yagi on top was largely unused due to a lack of Es openings at least
until late Sunday AM. The other antennas were a 40M dipole and ladder fed 80M
dipole at around 40 ft with tree supports. 20 sounded really poor with very few
0 call area stations except for CO until around sunset. Even 5's seemed a bit
sparse. The skip zone seemed huge and maybe the nearby mountain to our west
hurt a bit. I did get a good run going on 3802 KHz right before I left around
02Z.

Part 3 was back home Sunday AM starting at 1122Z. I started on 80 CW, then 75
phone working a total of 158 daytime Q's, pretty surprising! Then I moved up to
40 CW, then 20 CW until 15Z when we had a nice Es opening to the south and
west.
15 produced a huge number of QSO's and 10 meters was quite neglected in my
opinion. We had mutli-hop Es on both bands into CA and N6HC was S5 to S9 on 10
phone for quite a long time. I worked about 5-6 CA stations on 10 as well as
FL, AR, and TN. I worked W6RO on the Queen Mary on phone both bands. 15 was
open well to VA and NC briefly and to the other 4's, 5's, 6's, AZ (worked 2-3
WA), WI, and 0's.
One of my first 15M SSB QSO's was with NC and then worked W4UG in Virginia
Beach, VA with a good signal, very short skip for 15M!

Thanks for the QSO's and see you in the IARU test.

73, Jeff